Coconut 83 & 84X Temps and loads

Milk Machine

I see on most vendors who sell Accu-blend's Coco 83 & Coco 84x they recommend heating to above 200°F & pouring at 190-200. They also list the fragrance load as 8-12%.  One or 2 vendors say 84X has a maximum 8%.  I went to Accu-blend's website where they don't actually list 84x at all. But after an email I got a sheet on 84x that says maximum fragrance load of 8%  for both 83 & 84 but it says the heat & pour Temps for both are 150-170.  So what do you do?  And generally speaking do any of you like either of these. I'm kind of trying to decide between these or Ceda Serica. Any advice or opinions will be much appreciated! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Milk Machine said:

I see on most vendors who sell Accu-blend's Coco 83 & Coco 84x they recommend heating to above 200°F & pouring at 190-200. They also list the fragrance load as 8-12%.  One or 2 vendors say 84X has a maximum 8%.  I went to Accu-blend's website where they don't actually list 84x at all. But after an email I got a sheet on 84x that says maximum fragrance load of 8%  for both 83 & 84 but it says the heat & pour Temps for both are 150-170.  So what do you do?  And generally speaking do any of you like either of these. I'm kind of trying to decide between these or Ceda Serica. Any advice or opinions will be much appreciated! 

I’ve been using coco83 in slab and bead form for many years.  I learned from the original instructions to heat to200, add fo and pour.  This may have changed with more recent iterations of the formula. The version or sale now is very little like what I originally started with.  

generally, though, I blend coco83 as it burns not the greatest on its own.  I like it with up to 4% beeswax OR, up to 30% C1 or palm 1 or sp487. One lot of coco83 was SO STRANGE I blended with 50% midwest soy and found it to be a near perfect blend. 

I have not found to need any more than 8% with quality FO, and less with quality EO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I’ve been using coco83 in slab and bead form for many years.  I learned from the original instructions to heat to200, add fo and pour.  This may have changed with more recent iterations of the formula. The version or sale now is very little like what I originally started with.  

generally, though, I blend coco83 as it burns not the greatest on its own.  I like it with up to 4% beeswax OR, up to 30% C1 or palm 1 or sp487. One lot of coco83 was SO STRANGE I blended with 50% midwest soy and found it to be a near perfect blend. 

I have not found to need any more than 8% with quality FO, and less with quality EO. 

Can I ask is there a certain wick series you like when you blend it with beeswax?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Milk Machine said:

Hi. Yes, don't you love conflicting information, LOL. I too used Coconut 83 several years ago when it was a good, reliable wax and heated to around 200 and added FO between 180-190 and poured. I generally used 10-12% fragrance load. I still have some of those candles and they continue to have strong cold & hot throw, I don't remember which wicks I used. But as @TallTayl said, waxes have been changing the last few years so they may have changed the directions to those other temps now. Try doing it both ways and see what works best for you. 🕯️:read: