I’m back and I have more questions! My soap seems wet 🤔

Kris10Tackles

I decided to venture out and start experimenting with the superfat. All of my previous soap batches were made at 5% superfat and so I wanted to try 3% to see what the difference would be like. It kind of seems like my soap is secreting oil. Eh is that normal?

I’m actually really happy with how the bar looks. For those that have been along on this ride with me… look no bubbles!!! 

is everything okay and can just let them cure or is it bad?

I used 30% each coconut, palm, and olive oil.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Kristen

9C5E1C28-4412-4CFA-8D1B-C2912B6081AA.jpeg

AB683595-294F-4DD6-848B-1EE3A9D51E35.jpeg

2 hours ago, Kris10Tackles said:

I decided to venture out and start experimenting with the superfat. All of my previous soap batches were made at 5% superfat and so I wanted to try 3% to see what the difference would be like. It kind of seems like my soap is secreting oil. Eh is that normal?

I’m actually really happy with how the bar looks. For those that have been along on this ride with me… look no bubbles!!! 

is everything okay and can just let them cure or is it bad?

I used 30% each coconut, palm, and olive oil.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Kristen

9C5E1C28-4412-4CFA-8D1B-C2912B6081AA.jpeg

AB683595-294F-4DD6-848B-1EE3A9D51E35.jpeg

Might just be the glycerin drawing humidity. 

1 hour ago, Kris10Tackles said:

Where can I read more about that? Or is it just because it’s been foggy/drizzly over the past few days?

Glycerin is a natural result of saponification. Somewhere in my library I have an article with the calculation for how much glycerin each oil creates. It’s been a long time. 

Water discounts seem to help minimize the extremes of humidity “dew”. 

as the post above notes, air circulation and a dehumidifier help remove it during cure, then store carefully. I have much less wet/sticky since packaging cured bars in glassine bags. 

• Like 1

Try water discount, dehumidifier even try if you have a food dehydrator. I have used that in one place I lived. Works, don’t laugh.

I’m not a super soaker but my discount is 24% in soap calc. I never use full water unless I have a known soap on a stick fragrance.

• Like 1