Coconut Wax

Ernie

Been out of the candle making since the pandemic started and am trying to get back into it again (previous acct CaptnKush) hope everyone is doing great. Paraffin is my favorite wax, but all I see selling now is Coconut or Soy. Was wondering, which Coconut wax has the most positives? I see what makesy has, but not liking their $200 price tag. Any suggestions for a pre-blend or is it better to just try to make my own, and if thats the case which coconut base should I use?

1 hour ago, Ernie said:

Been out of the candle making since the pandemic started and am trying to get back into it again (previous acct CaptnKush) hope everyone is doing great. Paraffin is my favorite wax, but all I see selling now is Coconut or Soy. Was wondering, which Coconut wax has the most positives? I see what makesy has, but not liking their $200 price tag. Any suggestions for a pre-blend or is it better to just try to make my own, and if thats the case which coconut base should I use?

Want me to reset your old acct password?

as for which wax, that is the bazillion dollar question. 

You can delete that account if you want I probably won't use it. Whichever Coconut wax is the go to, or if there really isn't one is there a pure Coconut base for blending that you recommend?

Funny you mention the 83. I have one burning right now that I made 2 years ago that I added 3% beeswax. Its burning nice with a cd wick.I read that it is completely different now. Have you used the new formula yet, if so is it better or worse?

8 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Despite the terrible range of quality from lot to lot, I’m still a Coco83 gal. I like it blended either with Midwest soy, c1 or sp487. 

I've been playing with Coco 83 on the DL (shhhh) LOL
It's actually quite nice now that I've gotten over the texture. The paraffin in it makes it worth it. :laugh2:

I got mine from VCS and they claim it is NOT Accu Blend but who knows. I like Zinc wicks best with it. The CDs didn't give me the same (amazing) throw as the Zincs.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NightLight said:

If you paraffin candles but want to use coconut for marketing, try IGI 6046. It’s very soft. Add a little palm and it firms right up. Brilliant white. You can blend with it. It’s at Aztec and some other places.

I actually have 1 bag of this wax from whenever this wax came out. I don't remember it being very good. However, it does look good, maybe I can tweak it a little and try it again.

2 hours ago, Lizzy said:

I've been playing with Coco 83 on the DL (shhhh) LOL
It's actually quite nice now that I've gotten over the texture. The paraffin in it makes it worth it. :laugh2:

I got mine from VCS and they claim it is NOT Accu Blend but who knows. I like Zinc wicks best with it. The CDs didn't give me the same (amazing) throw as the Zincs.

I used to love the 83 about 2 years ago, but now I keep reading the formula has changed and every batch is different. Is this true or have they finally got it dialed in?

12 minutes ago, Ernie said:

I used to love the 83 about 2 years ago, but now I keep reading the formula has changed and every batch is different. Is this true or have they finally got it dialed in?

Every batch has been a little different but it performs equally well when blended for some reason. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ernie said:

That I can't t tell ya. I have just started playing with it after initially not wanting to bc of it's texture. I cringe at soft waxes.

I like it as far as burn and throw is concerned with 8% FO load and no dye. I've made about 10 test candles and all have been consistent after my initial wick test candles. I did get a smidgen of soot with a powerburn. Nothing too concerning. It's just one slab though, not a case (or cases) that I'm basing my results on FYI

I purchased this wax in hopes that it would be similiar to my previous container wax (which hasn't been available from my supplier for months now) ...and it is... with exception of it being in slab form. My previous wax was just as soft but in small pellet form (that I didn't have to touch...LOL...I could scoop out of it's bags) Did I mention I cringe at soft waxes? :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NightLight said:

The IGI 6046 if you like 4627 is nicer in IMHO. You can get a good candle with adding a small amount of palm. Firms it right up. Try it.

Takes color very well. You can try the sp additive but it wasn’t my fav. Easier just using some palm.

I actually have a bag of the 6046 when it first came out, but all the candles I made with it have sweaty tops. If there is a way to stop that Id be interested. Are you adding Palm oil or the Palm wax granules? I have tried the Granules and didn't like the finished texture it gave me.

Well I don't have any palm or any Beeswax so I tried adding 3% stearic to some 6046 and so far having pretty good results with a cd 8 in a 12oz status jar. about 1 1/2 hr into the burn right now and its about 3/8" from a full melt pool. No mushroom yet.

11 hours ago, Ernie said:

Well I don't have any palm or any Beeswax so I tried adding 3% stearic to some 6046 and so far having pretty good results with a cd 8 in a 12oz status jar. about 1 1/2 hr into the burn right now and its about 3/8" from a full melt pool. No mushroom yet.

Stearin can be interchangeable with many palm wax granule varieties. I’ve used it at up to 50% in some blends and 100% as a test.  Burned just like a candle made with igi 5801a.

I disliked 6046 for many reasons, most of which how quickly it got too imbalanced even when wicked quite conservatively. I never did try stearic with it, but I would keep blending with increasing amounts to see how far you can go before it hits a tipping point. 

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Stearin can be interchangeable with many palm wax granule varieties. I’ve used it at up to 50% in some blends and 100% as a test.  Burned just like a candle made with igi 5801a.

I disliked 6046 for many reasons, most of which how quickly it got too imbalanced even when wicked quite conservatively. I never did try stearic with it, but I would keep blending with increasing amounts to see how far you can go before it hits a tipping point. 

Yah I might try doing that since I have a whole box collecting dust. Did you lose scent throw with that high percentage of stearic?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ernie said:

Yah I might try doing that since I have a whole box collecting dust. Did you lose scent throw with that high percentage of stearic?

It is definitely worth the experiment if you have the components

i didn’t lose scent throw as the whole candle burned better with the container, fragrance and wick series I used. 
adding palm and other waxes high in stearic often requires a different wick series to withstand the civic veg waxes.  CDN performed better than CD, while premier beat both in most combos.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I tried 3%-10% of stearic so far in the 6046. So far the 10% is the winner. Definitely is harder now and getting a real good  scent throw on a 2 week cure. Sample jar is a libbey status. Started with a cd8 wick but settled on a cd6. Out of all of my waxes this is the best 1 pour wax so far. It looks perfect every time. After several burns, it doesn't look the best in the jar anymore. Tops look great, but glass adhesion went from flawless to the typical pull away look, but am still liking what stearic did to it. Don't have any Soy right now otherwise I would try a mix with it.

I've been testing 6046 and have found that it burns too hot, even when wicked down, in the vessels I'm using.  I also tested both trimmed and untrimmed candles(same vessel, same wick) side by side with 6046 and found a big difference in how they burn. If I wicked for the average person that does not trim their candle, I could get a fairly decent burning candle, but for the scrupulous customer who actually follows the directions on the warning label, that same candle would tunnel horribly.  Wick assuming the candle will be trimmed regularly would cause the same candle to burn way to hot left untrimmed. I found that adding GB 444 at 20% really helped to tame the burn and gave me much more consistency  in how the candle burned whether it was trimmed or left untrimmed.  

As far as beading or sweating, I found  6046 was prone to sweat, especially the longer the candle aged (4 months +), and if exposed to warmer temps. GB 444 helped with this, but I still got a little beading in hot temps of 95+.   FO load was 6%-8%. 

Adding soy wax did affect adhesion negatively, and I got air pockets down deep in in my 8oz jars. However, I didn't play around to much with pour temps.

Overall the soy wax helped greatly with burn characteristics of 6046.

Next I'm going to try palm with this wax.

• 2 weeks later...