Votive how to’s needed

NightLight

I was thinking about doing votives but to be honest I have no idea how they should melt. Should I wick so they melt across or burn like a pillar down with a shell. 

I tried a parasoy pillar with pins and metal molds but had the worst time getting the wick pins out even with spraying with Cyclomethicone.

Would I have better luck just going for paraffin?

Anyway ordered a silicone baking mold that has similar dimensions thinking it might make process easier.

And I thought these would be easy peasy.

• Like 1

Back in the old days when I started, votives were to be burned in a tight fitting container.  they were designed to melt all the way across and down like a container candle. 

beeswax, soy and paraffin were challenging to use wick pins, so   I would pour with the wick tab whenever possible. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I've always used 4794 for Votives and used metal molds with wick pins. 4794 shrinks/pulls away from the sides so unmolding is easy but it does require a top off where you pour to the "lip" of the mold. Then it's unmold, remove wick pin and insert wick then cover wick tab with warning label.

They are supposed to burn across like a container in a votive jar...as stated above. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

These were made using a rustic cold pour with 1343 back in the days in 2008 or 2009....sigh....how I miss the old time candlemaking. LOL

Seems like it was less complicated back then

47855_1596096828532_7494247_n.jpg

60057_1596080028112_5601305_n.jpg

Edited by Lizzy
early morning no coffee in system typo
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, NightLight said:

I was thinking about doing votives but to be honest I have no idea how they should melt. Should I wick so they melt across or burn like a pillar down with a shell.

You just happened to ask what I've been thinking. LOL

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lizzy said:

These were made using a rustic cold pour with 1343 back in the days in 2008 or 2009....sigh....how I miss the old time candlemaking. LOL

Seems like it was less complicated back then.

Oh I second that, I miss the waxes from a few years ago too, they were better and more predictable. Your candles are beautiful and perfect. 👍

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Lizzy said:

Seems like it was less complicated back then

I love that rustic look!  Those are great!

• Like 2

I've made only a few small batches, but I didn't use wick pins in my metal molds.  After my wax was poured, I waited for the surface to form a bit of a "skin" and then sunk the wicks till they touched the bottom, it took a little practice, but it works nicely.  The bottom of the wick tab catches the partially-cooled wax and glues itself down.  This is fine for votives since they get placed in a votive glass and the wick is not fastened to the container anyway.

• Like 1