Hurricane Wax

It doesn't really matter what it say (or doesn't say) it's for. If it has a high MP, it'll work. I prefer 160+. This says it's 159 so it would work fine.

It seems odd to me to specifically design a wax with a MP that high for votives :undecided But that's irrelevant to the question...LOL

I've been waiting to see if anyone with firsthand knowledge would answer. Sounds like you would be a pioneer. Personally I think it's a crapshoot to try a one-pour votive wax for hurricanes, this being such a specialized application. Not that I'm one to discourage experimentation (maybe you'll have us all making hurricanes with this stuff before long), but it's a fair amount of effort to find out if it works.

This wax has additives in it and you don't know how they affect its mold release and surface finish in this application. Most importantly, you need a wax that's translucent so the light gets through. That might be the biggest issue -- definitely check up on that before buying it.

I have tried many different waxes over the last 10 or more years. There was always something wrong with how they performed until I started using 5055 with 1/2 micro 180 pp and some powdered mold release. I swear by this. I must repeat this several times a day. It took care of all of my problems and my canes look good, come out of the molds easily, are translucent, have no bubbles and do not crack (usually....unless I forget and leave them in the refrigerator for an hour.....but I don't ever do that.....LOL ). Donita

DONITA: where do you get powdered mold release at?

I did a search for it but couldn't locate it...

is it like baby powder or is it still in aerosol form?

I found some info & suppliers here http://www.google.com/search?hs=pGb&hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=powdered+mold+release+for+candles&btnG=Search

Thanks Donita. I'm wondering if there is somewhere close to California where I can get the 5055? I'm bummed cuz I found a new supplier for wax, but they don't carry this one. I already use the powered mold release so that is good.

It is called release wax....it migrates to the sides of the candle and keeps it from sticking to the mold. If you keep your molds clean you don't have to use it every time....maybe every 4 or 5 times. I buy it from Candlewic....Pourette carries it too. Donita

Has anyone tried IGI 1260 for hurricanes? The new supplier I'm using says this is what they recommend. They don't carry the 5055.
A lot of people use that one. It's worked for me, but I'm tentatively thinking it may work better without the micro wax that Donita's been using with the 5055.

so would I need to add any additives using the 1260 for hurricanes?
If I made hurricanes all the time I could give you a more definitive answer.

I like Donita's suggestion of adding the kemamide powder for mold release. If you got 5055 from the WA supplier I linked below, I would suggest you also follow her other additive suggestions to the letter.

However, with this particular wax, I feel like more often than not I've shot myself in the foot by putting in additives, including the micro. It's a strong and not very brittle wax and I think it will make it nice cane on its own. The MP is also ultra high (almost 10 degrees higher than 5055), so no worries there.

One thing I will try in the future is adding just a little UA to it. But maybe you should start with the plain wax with mold release and it should work fine.

Donita/Top/Whoever: when you use to micro with the 5055 can you still get a good rustic and/or other rought marbled/mottled/cracked finnishes on them?

I know a lot of that is all about pour temp, but I didn't know if it this type of wax and additive made it more resistant to a rough finnish especially since a lot of your hurricanes have a very smooth appearance so the imbeds are more visible...

Well Luke....that gives me food for thought.....I haven't experimented on different finishes for canes....haven't had the need to.....still don't, but I probably will try something. Thanks for the new ideas. A crackled cane might just look very cool lit up. As far as rustic....the only way I get the rustic that I like is with stearic....if you add too much to a cane it won't be so translucent....just experiment. Donita

Has anyone tried IGI 1260 for hurricanes? The new supplier I'm using says this is what they recommend. They don't carry the 5055.

That is what I use now and don't add anything to it. Though I do spray the molds first. I'm about to order another case. Boy am I going through it much faster than I expected..lol

Donita/Top/Whoever: when you use to micro with the 5055 can you still get a good rustic and/or other rought marbled/mottled/cracked finnishes on them?

I know a lot of that is all about pour temp, but I didn't know if it this type of wax and additive made it more resistant to a rough finnish especially since a lot of your hurricanes have a very smooth appearance so the imbeds are more visible...

I don't see people doing a lot of the things you have in mind, which is cool. You may just have to blaze some trails and be the one answering rather than asking certain questions.

You might get some mileage out of making mini-canes out of 4 inch pillar molds or something like that, to explore different waxes, additives and pouring techniques without expending an undue amount of resources.

As you point out yourself, a cold pour is gonna look like a cold pour no matter what, in terms of the wax congealing quickly on the sides of the mold. Of course, anything that changes the wax will affect the look in some way, and may optimize for certain effects and not others.

There are lots of different kinds of microcrystalline wax and they'll all have a different effect. I once ordered an assortment of types from a supplier and they arrived all grungy, so I decided to melt down the samples and repour them into Gladware containers, minus all the dirt. Some of them were more translucent and some more opaque. Some glossy and some matte. Some shrank away from the containers upon cooling and left a lot of space, and some stuck so tight I had to cut the container and peel it off them.

Generally speaking, the micros will make the paraffin crystals smaller and strengthen the wax (probably not good for fracture effects). This also prevents true mottling (the kind you get from adding liquid to the wax). It will affect the shrinkage. Sometimes it can affect the color because micros are more yellow than FR paraffin, to varying degrees.

A bit of a non-answer, but hope it helped in some way.

Good responses Top and Donita. I'm going to start playing around with it quite a bit. I'm actually really excited because I have an upright freezer (look slike a fridge) which I am going to start using by turning it down and freezing my huge molds first which should help be get a crackled look.

I'll see if I can get a hold of a sample of 5055 and pour some testers and see if I can get a good finnish. I'll post any results I get.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread.

1260 all the way. That's the only wax I've ever used for 'canes here in Canada and it seems to work all right. As for mold release, I can't say that I've ever needed it. I pour all 'canes at 195 degrees and when they are cold, out they come.