Federal Tax I.D. #

JudyN

You can just use your SSN, but if you want a tax ID number, they'll give you one. The reason some sole proprietors choose to get a tax ID, even though it isn't necessary, is because they don't want to give out their SSN when filling out forms.

Bingo! That is why I opted to get a tax id.

I can't believe but another question I was wanting answered.I did get my Federal TAX ID on-line.Better be coming it is paid for.

What I wonder do I still go to the county and alsol get a state tax.I hear all these taxes and getting confused.Federal,State and County. HELP ME TOO???

LynnS

I can't believe but another question I was wanting answered.I did get my Federal TAX ID on-line.Better be coming it is paid for.

What I wonder do I still go to the county and alsol get a state tax.I hear all these taxes and getting confused.Federal,State and County. HELP ME TOO???

LynnS

No at least not in Arkansas. When I pay sales tax I have to seperate the different percents (city, county & state) and pay all to the state.

So to answer your ? you only get one sales tax # & that would be from your state.

The federal is the EIN (employer identification number) from the IRS. You don't need this unless you are paying employees or paying yourself as an employee.

In Michigan, if you get the EIN first, then the state tax ID just adds a couple of letters in front of that. (makes paperworker easier i suppose) And if you don't have an EIN, Michigan usually uses your SS#.

I would suggest getting an EIN first, just takes a phonecall, then apply for your State Tax ID.

Edited to add: EIN is a federal tax number. It's what is used to pay fed taxes that employers have to pay.

I called my county and they said come there for a tax ID.I did get Federal TaX ID.So now it is just the state tax ID I need and I will be covered.Also where do you get the state tax ID.Where do you apply? JudyN and I want to know.I am like her. Haven't a clue.

LynnS

Do you have a DBA? That's probably what the county was refering to when they said you could go there for that. It's registering your business name, "Doing Business As". That would be the first thing.

Here's some steps you can follow:

1. Obtain an DBA from local courthouse.(usually small fee, like $10)

2. Get your EIN, follow the info on the IRS website

3. Get your State Sales Tax ID, follow the info on your states website, treasury dept.

HTH

Thanks Suzanne.I kept trying to get it all together.I called and said where do I get a tax ID to start a home based business but I bet who I talked to thought a DBA.Also I think they want to know if it is OK to do a candlemaking business out of my home.There are a few other businesses near me and I am on the outskirts of a small town.I do know that there is a AVON sign just a little farther than me but she does not make anything.Although if she is selling out of her house I don't see why I won't be able to.

LynnS

I filled out the paperwork for my DBA today. In Calif. it is $23.00. Everyhing is more here :sad2: . I'm so excited though. I make a large heart chuck today that didn't turn out like I wanted it to, the chucks were with hearts in them and you couldn't tell that but it still looked neat. Anyway my neighbor wants two of them at 35.00 a piece. I'm so jazzed. Thanks for your help.

Lynn - I think you would have to check with your local zoning dept. to see if it's ok to make candles in home to sell. For example, in the city I live, I can make the products but I can't have customers coming to my house. Kind of like, keeping it a neighborhood, not a business area. So I would check on that for your area, you don't want to have some neighbor complaining if it's not ok.

Judy - Good Luck!! It's so rewarding when customers are asking for things. And I think it's even more addicting!! LOL

Good Luck to both of you!!

Thanks Suzanne.I kept trying to get it all together.I called and said where do I get a tax ID to start a home based business but I bet who I talked to thought a DBA.Also I think they want to know if it is OK to do a candlemaking business out of my home.There are a few other businesses near me and I am on the outskirts of a small town.I do know that there is a AVON sign just a little farther than me but she does not make anything.Although if she is selling out of her house I don't see why I won't be able to.

LynnS

When you talk to the office that you're getting your business license through you might want to ask them about doing business in your home. I live in MD in a county that has tons of restrictions...

I'm not allowed to keep "made" products in stock in my home

I can't keep supplies in the house

I can't have a show and allow people to buy things in my house