How soon after pouring before you can do wick testing?

Milk Machine

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered many times but I haven't found an answer yet. I wanted to know how soon after pouring a container candle (Coconut, Coconut Apricot or Soy) can you begin wick testing. I know the throw will take time but I want to start ruling out wicks with the wax & container I'm trying. Can you start 24 hours after it's poured?  Or do you have to wait the whole cure time?

Thanks! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Milk Machine said:

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered many times but I haven't found an answer yet. I wanted to know how soon after pouring a container candle (Coconut, Coconut Apricot or Soy) can you begin wick testing. I know the throw will take time but I want to start ruling out wicks with the wax & container I'm trying. Can you start 24 hours after it's poured?  Or do you have to wait the whole cure time?

Thanks! 

The answer is, it depends. Some waxes just plain take time for the crystal structure  to fully set up.  Think of soy, for instance, like concrete.  The concrete poured for a home foundation may appear firm, but it’s not at its final strength for quite some time. 

palm waxes, in my experience, are the quickest to reach their final state at roughly 2-3 days.  

many popular paraffins are set enough to give a decent wick read at 2-3 days. The hot throw can significantly improve with  time, but generally speaking, the wick choice doesn’t change all that much. 

soy takes the longest.  If you burn at 24 hours you will not get a good read on final wick size or series needed. I made that costly mistake many times in my haste to be done.  Pulled out a few candles after a month and they were woefully wrongly wicked. 

coconut wax is a broad topic with some retail blends being primarily soy wax with a tiny % of coconut oil so it can be labeled “coconut” wax.  Some is mostly paraffin with a tiny amount of coconut oil, again for marketing. Every retail blend is very different. Coco83 I found to be pretty close in wick size/series for a fragrance in 3 days or so. The last half of the jar is where things make or break the wick choice. 

apricot (specifically ceda cerica) i give at least 3 days fr wick size/series, but several weeks to find out if HT is there.  I this blend is extremely frustrating. 

• Thanks 2