Give up or start over ?

Back

Hi All

57 degrees here this morning and giving me the itch to start making candles again. With all the problems I have been reading about the quality of wax that is out there I dont know where to start. I had been using joy wax from natures garden but the last i got was really bad like no hot throw :( and I have about 40 lbs left.

This will be the 4th winter that my daughter and I make candles that is if you all can help us find a new wax of any kind that has a good hot throw.

I believe that some of you  are making killer candles  and ask that you give me a link or pm where I can buy one that you made.

One of the reasons I am posting this is the other day I was cleaning out my old office and found a old candle at least 10 years old and when i opened it it was wow what a cold throw then 15 min after lighting i put it out it was that strong. Yes small area 8ft by 8 ft but my new office and test are area 8x10 and in there it is also awsome.

I am begging for help because making candles is one of the few things that we enjoy doing together

thanks in advance

Bless

Shawn

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Back said:

Hi Tall

I dont care as long history of good throw and has no problem with the wax changing. hey NightLight is that what you use?

Thanks for the input

Bless

Shawn

Every wax has a learning curve, with soy being the most challenging. If you’re not opposed to some finicky pouring temps, Cargill’s C1 and C3 both have been pretty close from lot to lot in my past experiences. Bonus that they are available from multiple retail sellers.  

I shy away from special/custom/exclusive waxes that are only available from one place. if their supply dwindles we are left out of luck. 

Don't give up!  It sounds like you do this once a year for fun!  Always remember that you can always remelt.  And to be honest, you can make any wax work.  It is generally the scents that may need to looked at.  I had tested every "natural" wax on the market up to 2020 and while the the scent throws did differ I could always get something out of them with good scents.  And this isn't to say that waxes don't have differences.  Some waxes "squash" the scent.  Some waxes drown out certain notes (bakery).  Some waxes have a smell of their own.  But overall, with good scents you can make your wax give you something.  And if you do decide to go with a different wax just remember that you can use your old wax up at about 5-10% without changing the characteristics of the new wax.  HTH.  Now back to the fun with your daughter!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All

We desided to start over :)

Have to get past my big mistake about having a complete melt pool in 2 hours. I know now how bad that is if you want a good smelling candle. I came to that at the end of last winter. I use jars that are 21/2 x 2 "  and poured a few with cd 2 wicks. Lit one a few days ago and it is so much better on the burn being full melt pool didnt happen until 3/4 down the jar.yea step in the right direction

will be ordering some ECO wicks and some c3 wax

is problend 600 a house wax ? was thinking some of that..

We are going to make come in the morning with above in mind.

I will let my daughter on line to this forum tomorrow so she can start giving feed back.

Bless

Shawn

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Thought i would give an update. We still havent made another batch yet but we are getting closer. With a full burn with a cd 2 wick I still think it is to much. would love ideas of what to try next.

Been doing a lot of reading here and a reply from Tall Tal about trying fo with a candle warmer. That has opened up a new world for us :) First test was macintosh apple from CS. I could smell apple in my shop for almost 5 days. If we cant get some hot throw with that then i think we have a bad wick issue.

Bless

Shawn

• Like 1