Are these micro air bubbles?

Kris10Tackles

1 hour ago, Kris10Tackles said:

I think I’m going to take @TallTayl’s advice not work so much about this. They are lovely bars and I love using them and I make them because it’s fun way to be creative with a side of chemistry.

Love what you make and make what you love.

Stress about some perfection that has no real definition only dulls the edge of the fun that inspires us to create. ❤️ Same goes for how I feel about wet spots on candles… needless worry that steals the joy of chandlery. 

• Like 2

Your soaps are so beautiful!

How soon are you unmolding/cutting after you pour? I have found I get less spots like that the longer I wait to unmold and cut. I am using a wire cutter which I think tends to highlight any bubbles, but seems like if I wait an extra day they aren't as bad. I did some experiments with this; I will try to take some pics later. 

When I do 1 pound test batches I just whisk until emulsion, because like was mentioned it is so easy to get extra air into small batches!  

• Like 1

Hmmm. You know i did all molded soaps for holidays last year and had no issues with bubbly look. Could be just cut soaps issue. Do another small test wait a day longer then cut, let rest and see if appearance improves. Sometimes fresh is different looked from settle with product things.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 1:11 PM, asr said:

How soon are you unmolding/cutting after you pour? I have found I get less spots like that the longer I wait to unmold and cut. I am using a wire cutter which I think tends to highlight any bubbles, but seems like if I wait an extra day they aren't as bad. I did some experiments with this; I will try to take some pics later. 

Between 24-48 hours for the 4inch loaf. Should I be waiting longer? 

I made another batch on Monday. I’m now wondering if it’s my stick blender? This happened after burping and with a half second pulse.

BEE0285A-008E-4589-B75C-1A73EFE9B569.jpeg

• Like 1

For my recipe I have found 48 hours or longer is better. May be different with yours though. If it is soft and you cut with a wire I think the air bubbles can be more apparent. Try waiting a bit longer to cut your next batch and see what happens!

This isn't a very scientific experiment since it is different fragrance and colors, but it was the same recipe, water discount, and I blended at the same temps. I used a whisk to combine just until I reached an emulsion. It is also hard to photograph. The air bubbles on the soap on the left are much worse in person! The soap on the left I unmolded and cut at 24 hours; the one on the right was after 48 hours. Every soap I have made since I have tried to wait (I'm impatient lol) and the ones I cut a bit too soon I can see a difference!

Soap.jpg

Edited by asr
grammar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NightLight said:

Stick blender bubble and thickish batter. You can see the bubbles.  Try stick blending briefly burb batter and pour thinner.

This was right after I poured they lye water, burbled, blended for less than a second. There was no trace in sight!