Are these micro air bubbles?

Kris10Tackles

I’m hoping to give soap to my immediate family this year for the holidays. I feel like I’m starting to understand the process and I’m personally loving what I’ve made so far - good lather, moisturizing, smells good. I still have training wheels on by using the Bramble Berry Quick Mixes but I’m okay with that. I’ll venture into actually recipes in the en t few months or early next year.

My question is, are these little air bubbles normal or is there something I can be doing differently? I feel like it’s something I’m doing because it’s happening with different mixes and also I both 19oz batches and 54oz batches. 

Could it be I’m being a little heavy handed with my immersion blender?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

AC0D2576-6F1C-44E5-A205-8A2925C32962.jpeg

7F11DC3E-A0CC-4991-801F-5A0FD0B1B7AB.jpeg

9A39063E-A95D-49A2-8353-43A121162EA8.jpeg

248786D7-B91C-469B-9981-4957BE56B692.jpeg

• Like 1

yeah burping the blender or tapping the mold on the counter after pouring usually worked for me. Sometimes it didn't. I don't think air bubbles are a big deal in a soap. :)  your soaps look great! I love the simplicity of them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lizzy said:

yeah burping the blender or tapping the mold on the counter after pouring usually worked for me. Sometimes it didn't. I don't think air bubbles are a big deal in a soap. :)  your soaps look great! I love the simplicity of them. 

Thank you!! I’m having so much fun learning how to do it. Soon I’ll take the training wheels off. 

• Like 1

I made more gremlins today. No water discount and barely blended but still achieved trace. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻In the 4 inch silicon mold I’m usually able to un-mold and cut after 24 hours with 15% water discount. I’m wondering should wait a few mores days since there’s more water?

56 minutes ago, NightLight said:

Do you use sodium lactate? I always use, and you can unmold soaps with more water with ease.

I did! I’m hoping less mixing will be the key. It felt really nice while I was stirring, almost like cake batter.

Edited by Kris10Tackles

Less mixing will help and pour thinner trace, bang the mold. You don’t really need thick trace unless you are doing layered soap.

Make sure when you put stick blender in, do at angle so air does not get in. Pulse soap, and then you can switch to spatula to stir for some fragrances. Some of the fo’s can be stinkers and spatula stir is better than immersion blender.

• Like 1

Well, I think I’ve narrowed down the when. I tried again while making a few adjustments.

Combined lye water and oils at 115 vs 120. Gentle stirred with a spatula before using the blender and another zero water discount batch. 

Before I added the lye water, I was looking at the oils and this is when I first saw the little bubbles. I thought I was being very diligent about not adding air into the oils but there they were!

I still continued on trying to be aware of how much air I was allowing into the soap batter, mixed to a lighter trace than what I usually do. Ur still achieved emulsion. The bubbles weren’t going away but they also weren’t getting worse.

I’m still perplexed but I guess I feel a little but better knowing I’m not causing this while I’m mixing everything together.

5C5BFD54-1219-4855-A6A6-1CEECEF1A1B1.jpeg

2 hours ago, Kris10Tackles said:

Well, I think I’ve narrowed down the when. I tried again while making a few adjustments.

Combined lye water and oils at 115 vs 120. Gentle stirred with a spatula before using the blender and another zero water discount batch. 

Before I added the lye water, I was looking at the oils and this is when I first saw the little bubbles. I thought I was being very diligent about not adding air into the oils but there they were!

I still continued on trying to be aware of how much air I was allowing into the soap batter, mixed to a lighter trace than what I usually do. Ur still achieved emulsion. The bubbles weren’t going away but they also weren’t getting worse.

I’m still perplexed but I guess I feel a little but better knowing I’m not causing this while I’m mixing everything together.

5C5BFD54-1219-4855-A6A6-1CEECEF1A1B1.jpeg

Are you making very small batches? If your bowl is fairly shallow when making a small batch, it’s very easy to introduce air. Maybe a narrower container that’s deeper might help.

Your soap is still excellent looking though. Don’t sweat it too badly.

• Like 1

Yes I am making them in small batches - too afraid I’m going to mess things up and I like the variety.  I’m mixing 4 cup plastic pouring pitchers that seem fairly narrow, I think they’re just wider than the stick blender.

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Are you making very small batches? If your bowl is fairly shallow when making a small batch, it’s very easy to introduce air. Maybe a narrower container that’s deeper might help.

Your soap is still excellent looking though. Don’t sweat it too badly.

🥰 thanks for the wise words. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NightLight said:

Are you doing CPOP because that can cause bubbles. I found if you just let CP soap do its thing without CPOP behaves better.

Sorry what’s the OP? Still very new. Just googled it. 

I don’t oven process. I just let it do it’s thing in the mold. 

Edited by Kris10Tackles
  • Like 1