SP487 issues between lots?

Recently several fellow chandlers have noted the latest SP487 smells weird and does not look the same while cooling, or after cooled. 

Swans candles has/had a note on their site that there was a possibly “bad” batch of sp487 that was being corrected. 

I’ve been playing with, liking this wax. Please don’t tell me this one’s gone toes up too.

• Sad 1

On 8/18/2022 at 8:03 PM, TallTayl said:

Recently several fellow chandlers have noted the latest SP487 smells weird and does not look the same while cooling, or after cooled. 

Swans candles has/had a note on their site that there was a possibly “bad” batch of sp487 that was being corrected. 

I’ve been playing with, liking this wax. Please don’t tell me this one’s gone toes up too.

Hive and Honey is carrying the SP 487 now, they just got a batch in and the owner has assured me that it is the correct formula- the bad batch had one wrong ingredient in it.. it smelled horrible, but I found the smell undetectable in finished candles and it performed as it should   Here is the website https://hiveandhoneycandleco.com/

1 hour ago, PINKT said:

Hive and Honey is carrying the SP 487 now, they just got a batch in and the owner has assured me that it is the correct formula- the bad batch had one wrong ingredient in it.. it smelled horrible, but I found the smell undetectable in finished candles and it performed as it should   Here is the website https://hiveandhoneycandleco.com/

Interesting about only one place reporting a bad lot.  A few fellow chandlers familiar with sp487 got new samples of the granular version direct from S&P, and smell the off note. One is noting cooling and set up issues. It is so frustrating. 

10 minutes ago, Terry said:

Good Morning!  Could you please make a recommendation on a wick type and size for this wax?  Using a 12 oz. status jar?  Thanks 🙂

I’ve been testing 9 oz jars with Premier 760. For a status, I’d probably wick up to 777 to start. I’ve not yet tested any other series in it. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 8:20 AM, Terry said:

Good Morning!  Could you please make a recommendation on a wick type and size for this wax?  Using a 12 oz. status jar?  Thanks 🙂

I don't use the 487 on it's own, but I would try CD/CDN or HTP

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...