Brainstorming a scent rename

LilFirecracker

Hello fellow scent lovers!

I was never a really creative person, but for the past year and a half the creative juices have been flowing freely. I've been doing really well with renaming fragrances, but now I have a block. 

I need to rename Bath & Bodyworks "Cotton Blossom." Normally if something doesn't pop into my head within a few minutes, I'll sit there and brainstorm just writing down words that come to mind, then try to piece some together to come up with a good name. I'm completely blocked now trying to come up with this one and I need your help! If you can give me some ideas or even actual names I could use, I'd appreciate that so much! Even a list of brainstormed words I could use would be great! Thank you so much for any help you can give me ❤️

Edited by LilFirecracker

32 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Is there a childhood memory or place you shared with your mom that fits?

In my mind I picture a name for Cotton Blossom as being a soft and delicate name. Childhood and teen years with mom was anything but soft and delicate. We were crazy together lol. One of my favorite memories would be when I was around 12 or 13 and I'd have a sleepover. We'd crank up the music and dance. We'd pair up and create dance routines and mom would judge. Then they'd all pull her out of her chair to come dance with us. She'd get crazy shaking her ass and all. My friends loved her to death like a second mom. So I can't match up anything like that. It did just make me smile thinking about those times!🥰

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, LilFirecracker said:

In my mind I picture a name for Cotton Blossom as being a soft and delicate name. Childhood and teen years with mom was anything but soft and delicate. We were crazy together lol. One of my favorite memories would be when I was around 12 or 13 and I'd have a sleepover. We'd crank up the music and dance. We'd pair up and create dance routines and mom would judge. Then they'd all pull her out of her chair to come dance with us. She'd get crazy shaking her ass and all. My friends loved her to death like a second mom. So I can't match up anything like that. It did just make me smile thinking about those times!🥰

How about “Crazy Sleepover Jammies”? Then use the above story in the scent description. Stories sell the scent. 

• Like 1

I haven't smelled that scent, but I looked it up to see how it's described or the scent notes.  One description was something about linen drying on a clothesline in the breeze.  I'm not sure if that's right or not ... oh well, I can't think of anything just now, except for "Breezy Linens" ! 

33 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

How about “Crazy Sleepover Jammies”? Then use the above story in the scent description. Stories sell the scent. 

Oooohhh I love that idea!!! I'm gonna write that down and see what I can build around that. Thank you, Shannon! 🥰

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

I haven't smelled that scent, but I looked it up to see how it's described or the scent notes.  One description was something about linen drying on a clothesline in the breeze.  I'm not sure if that's right or not ... oh well, I can't think of anything just now, except for "Breezy Linens" ! 

It's more of a soft floral scent than one of those Fresh Linen or Clean Cotton scents. Cotton Blossom is actually one component in Yankee's Clean Cotton, but I would've never thought it was. I don't pick it up, but others might. Hmmm...makes me wonder how B&BW was able to trademark a name of a real flower. Hell I need to go look. It might not even be trademarked! I just assumed since normally they're all trademarked. Even if it's not, I'm still renaming it. 

Edited by LilFirecracker

36 minutes ago, LilFirecracker said:

Oooohhh I love that idea!!! I'm gonna write that down and see what I can build around that. Thank you, Shannon! 🥰

This shop has stuck in my head for over a decade for one reason: her stories.
https://www.absolutesoap.com/handmade-soap/

I remember “sexy laundry day” scent and can find her shop any time. It’s constantly a best seller even today, no doubt for the name and story. No idea what it even smells like 😂

16 hours ago, LilFirecracker said:

It's more of a soft floral scent than one of those Fresh Linen or Clean Cotton scents. Cotton Blossom is actually one component in Yankee's Clean Cotton, but I would've never thought it was. I don't pick it up, but others might. Hmmm...makes me wonder how B&BW was able to trademark a name of a real flower. Hell I need to go look. It might not even be trademarked! I just assumed since normally they're all trademarked. Even if it's not, I'm still renaming it. 

I've been under the impression that designer scent dupes can be used with the name of the scent as long as it has "type" at the end of the name.  I could be wrong about that, but that's what I've assumed anyway.

18 hours ago, birdcharm said:

I've been under the impression that designer scent dupes can be used with the name of the scent as long as it has "type" at the end of the name.  I could be wrong about that, but that's what I've assumed anyway.

I used to think that was the way it worked too, but I found out that using "type" or "inspired by" doesn't cover you if they wanna come after you. This is happening a lot on Etsy, and it's not Etsy doing it. It's the actual companies filing DMCA takedown notices. The fragrance oil suppliers can do this because they're not selling the same type of product as the brand name they're duping. Take Yankees Clean Cotton for example. Someone on this forum said they had their listing removed on Etsy for just having "Clean Cotton" in the tags. The FO suppliers are good to go because Yankee doesn't sell FOs, so they don't have a trademark on it. If we list a Clean Cotton candle on Etsy, they can come after us because they have a trademark on that scent name FOR candles. They can come after you no matter where you're selling it. It just happens more often online because these big companies have their own team that does nothing but search for IP infringements. Disney is another huge one that protects their IP like their life depends on it! It's impossible for them to catch everyone because there's just so many out there to comb thru. Kinda like speeding down the highway. 50 cars going over the speed limit, and the cop can only pull over one at a time. 

This is why the TESS search on uspto.gov can be your best friend in these cases. It will show every type of item they have a trademark on for that name. It might cover candles, air fresheners, body sprays, lotions.... If it doesn't show soap, you may be in the clear to sell soap using that scent name. I don't know that I would push my luck lol, but it's a great tool to see where you stand!

Edited by LilFirecracker
Typo
  • Like 2