Tealight Wicks

I've been doing a little reading about the wicks used with soy wax tealights.  I've never made these before, so I'm not sure where to start, but do know that I will be using a metal cup for them w/ C-3 wax.  I see that the following are advised, but not sure which one might be best with this wax:  TL15, LX8, Eco1, HTP31 ... any tips or pointers?  (I'm primarily going to use these for samples.)

19 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I have the best luck with small cd sizes. Depending on the scent up to cd5 (or 6 as with peppermint) worked well. 

Thanks!  I'll try that since I happen to have some!  I was thinking of RRD29 (because I have some of that size), but I'll try the CD first.  I went looking for the taller 3/4" cups -- I see them at Bittercreek, but I'd have to e-mail them to ask about shipping because the $30+ estimate the shopping cart gave me just isn't going to work too well!  😄

34 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

Thanks!  I'll try that since I happen to have some!  I was thinking of RRD29 (because I have some of that size), but I'll try the CD first.  I went looking for the taller 3/4" cups -- I see them at Bittercreek, but I'd have to e-mail them to ask about shipping because the $30+ estimate the shopping cart gave me just isn't going to work too well!  😄

Definitely try what you have.  Tea lights are frustrating to wick. RRD tend to burn down then out.  Not sure how they will do with tea lites, but definitely worth the try!

I HATE mystery shipping and over charged shipping. 

• Like 2

We have tested every single one of our oils in standard tealight metal cups with GB464 and most of them take a CD3.  When we tested the C-3 years ago it was about the same but there was a bit more interaction of scent/soy which caused some of them to need slightly bigger wicks (cd4/cd5).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for the recommendations!  I'm just about getting ready to get into this, so I'll see how it goes.  For now I gave up looking for the taller (3/4") cups since I would have had to create an order around them to make it worth the shipping.  So, I just picked up some 1/2" cups that were sent First Class.  I've got CD5 on-hand, so I'm going to use that for starters.  It makes sense that a CD5 works with C3 as TallTayl noted if a CD3 works with GB464.  I think I have some smaller HTPs that I received as a sample once, I'll look for them.  It's not a really big deal (they're tealights!), but still, best to use what works the smoothest. 

To add this here for anyone's reference -- here are some of the wick comparisons, just to confuse the issue!

ROC (oz/hr)     Flame Height (inches)     Pool Diameter

ECO 1         0.14   1.30    2.20

HTP – 41     0.11   0.84    1.41

HTP – 52     0.13   0.96    1.50

HTP – 62     0.15   1.01    1.60

RRD 29       0.13   1.10    1.80

RRD 34       0.19   1.30     2.00

CD – 5         0.18   1.60    1.90

• 1 month later...

As a follow up to this, I found that out of the ones I tested, I prefer HTP-31 for these.  The RRD-29 was too big for my taste, as is CD-5; HTP-41 is okay, but still a little on the large side imo.

To add to graph above for reference:

HTP – 31     0.10     0.76   1.31

ECO 0.5      0.11     1.1      2.0
ECO 0.75    0.12     0.6      2.1
CD-2           0.13     1.2      1.7

CD-3           0.14     1.4      1.9