Fragrance Shortages

awnl

Does anyone periodically weigh your fragrance when you receive an order? I ordered from a new vendor and my instinct told me to check the weights. I ordered (4) 4oz scents, 3 out of 4 scents can in at 3oz. I used two different scales, both showed the exact weight. Is there a "new way"  companies are weighing fragrances? I just like to hear your thoughts.

When I first saw the title, I was like supply chain issues AGAIN?! 

but then I read and felt worse knowing some places are short filling bottles.  is the bottle visibly not filled to a reasonable point, like the base of the bottle neck, or bottle shoulder?

I can see a weight coming in short if the specific gravity is low, like citrus and many sandalwood fragrances. For those, a full bottle just doesn’t hold the same weight as a “normal” fragrance. The bottle will be full, just not as dense as other oils.  BUT then it should be listed as such.  Usually places like Bramble-berry and AromaHaven/rustic escentuals will note it on the scent listing that it will be sold by fluid oz vs weight (or that the weight of that particular fragrance is different) in those cases. 

59881490-6617-4C5C-A416-7A1744E0A478.jpeg

@TallTayl I never judge weight by looking for a filled container, I weighed each component separately, scent, container and then together, still short. I know each fragrance density will be different depending on compound, an ounce is still an ounce.. Funny thing is I rarely check orders because I work with a few companies for many years, trust and reputation have been earned. This company charges a hefty premium $$ for their products. 

57 minutes ago, awnl said:

@TallTayl I never judge weight by looking for a filled container, I weighed each component separately, scent, container and then together, still short. I know each fragrance density will be different depending on compound, an ounce is still an ounce.. Funny thing is I rarely check orders because I work with a few companies for many years, trust and reputation have been earned. This company charges a hefty premium $$ for their products. 

I asked if they looked filled just to understand if the bottles were sloppily filled, or if they were filled visually just less dense. I trust you did weigh them properly. 

54 minutes ago, awnl said:

I guess a word for the wise, watch what companies fill fragrance by the ounce or the fl.ounce, what you get will vary. 

I’m so sorry this happened to you.  Thanks for sharing so others know to look out for shortages. With sooooo many new suppliers, who knows how familiar they are with US weights and measures requirements.  

We've had a couple of shortages too ... as if perhaps they include the weight of the bottle and cap to go with the FO. It has happened randomly and was never found to be consistent in the same order. Yes, we weigh to better price per ounce. 

• Like 1