Has anyone tried blended waxes BW917?

TallTayl

I bought a couple of lbs of BW 917 / coco extreme and about to embark on trialing for 8oz tins and 9oz jars. 

first impressions in bag - pastilles are lovely to work with.  Nice and firm, no smearing like other coconut waxes.

Made a quick status jar to get the ball rolling.  it was a nice, pretty easy wax to melt and pour.  

1. Heat Coco Extreme to 170F
  2. Add scent and color (skipped for baseline)
  3. Stir well
  4. Pour between 140 - 160F (poured at 150)

Seems to have quite a lot of soy in it based on how it melts in the melter, and cools with a definite need to amend the top. I pour wickless for baseline tests, and it sank slightly, and cracked across the center of the top in a “c”. I chose to heat gun into the crevices and it cooled smooth without any further need to poke and fill. Will need to try pouring hotter and cooler in the next tests to see if either makes it a true single pour.

It cools and cures to a very firm surface, nice early glass adhesion. After a few burns it began to pull away from the glass a bit, which may not be the case  with fragrance added. 

beautiful clean burn with a cd wick.  Zero carbon heading. Zero soot stack or puffing. VERY pretty flame that stayed steady, and proportionally wide as it was tall. Looking forward to see how it continues deeper into the jar. 

The color is to the ivory side of white.  In the jar it’s off-white enough to not look like paraffins.  Very opaque, creamy looking and dense feeling wax in the jar. the candle feels substantially hefty like a soy without the frosting and rough soy top.

the surface after burning is smooth and pleasant to look at. I need to add the standard fragrance I use for testing then burn again to discover the CT and HT potential. 

the 110 melt point makes me want to do a few extra summer shipping tests, and porch tests to ensure it will hold up well in craft show and summer shipping scenarios. 

I’ve not used Blended Waxes products in the past. So far I like this product!

Ha, I'm reading this thinking to myself, "I don't need another wax...I don't need another wax..." 😆, and then I realize I already have some.  (Maybe.)

About 2 years ago, Aztec started carrying an "all-natural container blend," https://www.candlemaking.com/all-natural-blend-container.html.html.  The rumor on craftserver was that it was BW-917:

They were selling it for $1 a pound as an intro deal so I picked up a couple bags, but I never poured it.  Since your first impressions sound pretty favorable maybe I should dig it out and see how it holds up 2 years later.

• Like 1

I am using BW-917 exclusively, and am very happy with it's burn characteristics, but haven't found a reliable wick yet with ECO and HTP series. Specifically, HT is excellent when wax is heated via a heat gun, but I can't seem to generate enough heat to get an equivalent throw with a wick. I would love to hear your wick suggestion(s) for BW-917.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kelpandpebble said:

I am using BW-917 exclusively, and am very happy with it's burn characteristics, but haven't found a reliable wick yet with ECO and HTP series. Specifically, HT is excellent when wax is heated via a heat gun, but I can't seem to generate enough heat to get an equivalent throw with a wick. I would love to hear your wick suggestion(s) for BW-917.

Have you tried cd or premier 700 series?

4 hours ago, Lizzy said:

:icon_tiptoe: I wish I had NOT read this bc I am still in the market for a new wax and with Fall around the corner I am stressing big time. LOL

I know what you mean… it really stressful.

I have plenty of wax for small jars, but tins and multi wick ceramic jars is a totally other story. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I know what you mean… it really stressful.

I have plenty of wax for small jars, but tins and multi wick ceramic jars is a totally other story. 

I just ordered Coco83 to test. From my research and super snooper endeavours ...I concluded that it is closest to my previous wax. Wish me luck. Ugh. LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lizzy said:

I just ordered Coco83 to test. From my research and super snooper endeavours ...I concluded that it is closest to my previous wax. Wish me luck. Ugh. LOL

Best of luck. 🍀

coco83 is not perfect, but it is a super blender and chassis for add-ons .  It’s as if the wax is soaked in phthalates given how it “can” throw, compared to dulled waxes and fragrances we’ve been stuck with. 🙃

if I had one wish it would be to have lunch with the original formulator of coco83. I would love to understand the thought path for the choices of oils used in that blend. The coco83 waxes I’ve received through the years have not ever felt fixed formula, but all worked well enough if you know how to test and tweak. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Best of luck. 🍀

coco83 is not perfect, but it is a super blender and chassis for add-ons .  It’s as if the wax is soaked in phthalates given how it “can” throw, compared to dulled waxes and fragrances we’ve been stuck with. 🙃

if I had one wish it would be to have lunch with the original formulator of coco83. I would love to understand the thought path for the choices of oils used in that blend. The coco83 waxes I’ve received through the years have not ever felt fixed formula, but all worked well enough if you know how to test and tweak. 

Can't say I'm looking fwd to testing but alas I have no choice...lol
I got mine from VCS. We'll see how it does and how it compares to my previous wax. 

On a side note....I see ASO now carries a Coco Soy too. UGH. LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lizzy said:

Can't say I'm looking fwd to testing but alas I have no choice...lol
I got mine from VCS. We'll see how it does and how it compares to my previous wax. 

On a side note....I see ASO now carries a Coco Soy too. UGH. LOL

I got that email too.  

Given the too many new coconut product offerings in the market I’m well past the desire to Pokémon and collect them all. Too many are proving to just the same soy wax we are trying to jettison with a little coconut oil thrown in to make the label appealing enough to reclaim market share. 

To those of us who use and love a well blended coconut wax product, coconut wax is not just coconut oil.

I passed on the ASO offer I almost bit.  Almost, for science. The all in price for 5 lbs was over $33.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I got that email too.  

Given the too many new coconut product offerings in the market I’m well past the desire to Pokémon and collect them all. Too many are proving to just the same soy wax we are trying to jettison with a little coconut oil thrown in to make the label appealing enough to reclaim market share. 

To those of us who use and love a well blended coconut wax product, coconut wax is not just coconut oil.

I passed on the ASO offer I almost bit.  Almost, for science. The all in price for 5 lbs was over $33.

I'm going to pass on it as well. I am at my limit of "wax collections" and don't need anymore laying around. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just saw this thread and am intrigued by this wax!  I saw one distributor (Cierra) said it was being discontinued. It was unclear if they were not going to continue to carry it or if the manufacturer was discontinuing it. I assume just them?   I have been mostly testing with Coco83 & Coco84X with some S&P 487 but wonder how this compares as far as ease of use and wicking & CT/ HT goes. I saw @TallTayl has used both and wondered if one is better for certain containers or if one is better over all. I personally don't love soy but on the other hand I like the marketability of a paraffin-free wax like BW 917. I'd love to hear if anybody can compare this with Coco83/Coco84X  or even just more general impressions!   Thanks!

On 7/14/2022 at 7:03 AM, TallTayl said:

I bought a couple of lbs of BW 917 / coco extreme and about to embark on trialing for 8oz tins and 9oz jars. 

first impressions in bag - pastilles are lovely to work with.  Nice and firm, no smearing like other coconut waxes.

Made a quick status jar to get the ball rolling.  it was a nice, pretty easy wax to melt and pour.  

1. Heat Coco Extreme to 170F
  2. Add scent and color (skipped for baseline)
  3. Stir well
  4. Pour between 140 - 160F (poured at 150)

Seems to have quite a lot of soy in it based on how it melts in the melter, and cools with a definite need to amend the top. I pour wickless for baseline tests, and it sank slightly, and cracked across the center of the top in a “c”. I chose to heat gun into the crevices and it cooled smooth without any further need to poke and fill. Will need to try pouring hotter and cooler in the next tests to see if either makes it a true single pour.

It cools and cures to a very firm surface, nice early glass adhesion. After a few burns it began to pull away from the glass a bit, which may not be the case  with fragrance added. 

beautiful clean burn with a cd wick.  Zero carbon heading. Zero soot stack or puffing. VERY pretty flame that stayed steady, and proportionally wide as it was tall. Looking forward to see how it continues deeper into the jar. 

The color is to the ivory side of white.  In the jar it’s off-white enough to not look like paraffins.  Very opaque, creamy looking and dense feeling wax in the jar. the candle feels substantially hefty like a soy without the frosting and rough soy top.

the surface after burning is smooth and pleasant to look at. I need to add the standard fragrance I use for testing then burn again to discover the CT and HT potential. 

the 110 melt point makes me want to do a few extra summer shipping tests, and porch tests to ensure it will hold up well in craft show and summer shipping scenarios. 

I’ve not used Blended Waxes products in the past. So far I like this product!

Have you messed around with this wax anymore? Any additives or blending to improve on it?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Ernie said:

Have you messed around with this wax anymore? Any additives or blending to improve on it?

I only made one status jar of that wax.  It burned cleanly with cd, but the FO and fo% I used did not scent the small area at all. It melts, pours and burns like primarily plain old soy with a hint of coconut oil to me. It is very easy to overwick at the top, but then gets hot by the second or third burn.

• Like 1