NCA weighs in re: botanicals in candles

Personally, I’m happy to see this topic addressed.

https://candles.org/ncas-report-on-botanical-candles/

National Candle Association Determines Botanical Embedded Candles Can Be Fire Hazard

The National Candle Association (NCA) has become aware of a growing number of candles on the market that contain flammable materials including dried flowers, leaves, herbs, and wood embedded in the wax near the flame (this concern does not include non-flammable items like metal and stone). Unlike the long-standing style of candle that has elements embedded around the outside in wax that safely remains solid throughout the life of the candle thus shielding the embedded elements from the flame and heat, these candles do not. This new style of embellished candle allows decorative elements to become part of the liquid wax pool when the candle is burned. This exposes these flammable materials to both the candle’s heat and flame throughout the candle’s use while also coating them in wax, allowing the materials to sustain flame themselves. NCA purchased several candles and had them tested according to the ASTM Candle Fire Safety Procedures at an independent third-party safety testing laboratory. The results are provided here.

Edited by bfroberts
To add text
  • Like 3

Happy to see this, but saddened it took soooooooo long.

At least we have another legal entity in the industry to direct people when others argue it’s AOK to put combustibles into a hot flaming wax container. ASTM specifically addresses combustibles in and containing the candle. I bought the latest ASTM candle safety revision and am working on ways to share bite size pieces in vlogs.

now do dough bowls, NCA. 

• Like 2

About time!! I saw it yesterday afternoon when CS posted the article. Already there's a huge uproar. The numbnuts are arguing that Candles & Supplies made a live a while back and "proved" that nothing would happen. BTW they lost my business that day. Promoting putting flammables on candles for the sake of more sales (as in wax sales for them)....nope, I'm out! 

Edited by Lizzy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lizzy said:

About time!! I saw it yesterday afternoon when CS posted the article. Already there's a huge uproar. The numbnuts are arguing that Candles & Supplies made a live a while back and "proved" that nothing would happen. BTW they lost my business that day. Promoting putting flammables on candles for the sake of more sales (as in wax sales for them)....nope, I'm out! 

No supplier will be covering the liability losses for those who insist on using the botanicals and other combustibles.

Personally, I prefer to not risk someone else’s home or life to make a buck. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

No supplier will be covering the liability losses for those who insist on using the botanicals and other combustibles.

Personally, I prefer to not risk someone else’s home or life to make a buck. 

Exactly! Yet they made it seem like it's no big deal. Look up the video.

So glad the NCA came out with this statement!  I have done my own tests too and while the botanicals when used in small amounts will generally push away from the wick at the beginning of the burn (candle convection currents)  it is an entirely different story when they get to the end of the candle and they have nowhere to go!  And while not every single plant part will burn in every single candle it is still a very large percent that will catch on fire.  And while I love to set things on fire I don't like it when my glass breaks or my curtains start on fire...

Edited by CandleCocoon
  • Like 2

Well they put them in there thinking oh so pretty. They'll even make the outside have stained glass window effect by melting tissue paper and napkins etc. on the outside. The bright idea is really an old one. I think the first one I did with botanicals ... might have been the second ... floated free and right into the flame. The attempt to make it differently with an outer shell with embeds and the inside filled with wax eventually led to a botanical floating free regardless and poof ... it was attracted to the flame. The botanicals are good for hurricanes IMO and mostly for potpourri. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1