fragrance density and wick choices

THicks

I am using Harmony 4630 in a 2.5 inch wide jar with 6% FO.  I am testing Fruit Loops FO that has a density of .90 - .91.  I have been told that the heavier the FO it will need a bigger wick.  If I understand the density correctly the Fruit Loops I have would be considered a light FO.  In choosing a wick for this wax/jar combination would I need to look at cooler burning wick like zinc or does a light FO use a smaller wick in the same series as a heavier FO?

Also is there a break down in the density range numbers that put the FO's into groups of light, medium and heavy making wick choices maybe a little easier?

I have not found density/specific gravity of fragrances or essential oils to correlate with wicking in any waxes i have used.

So much depends on the specific aroma chemicals and diluent used by the fragrance house. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

And to go one step further it is also the shape of the molecule that can help/hinder wicking.  Beeswax for instance has a very funky molecule with "legs" sticking out all over the place.  That is why it works best with square braid wicks as it is easier for it to find a side and climb up the wick.  Beeswax when used on flat braids can get "stuck" as the legs don't find another wall in order to advance.  I know you are not asking about beeswax but I am just using this as an extreme example.

Then there is the issue of acidic vs basic.  CD wicks work better in more basic environments and CDN work better in more acidic.  They are both the same size but the flame retardants that they are soaked in are different.  I have more info about this if you like.

So unfortunately there is not easy way to figure out wicking without testing.  We have some VERY thick FOs that burn easily with some wax/wick combos and not with others.  For instance,  we have a vanilla that works so well with the wax/wick combo that it gets wicked way down.  Which is incredibly unusual for vanillas.  And it is very dense.  And we have some "thin" oils that have to be wicked way way up since they have some crazy molecules that are derived from the resin/EO of lilacs...And visa versa.