Stubborn Vanilla scent - HELP!!

Out of all the oils I've tested in the last year and a half, I have NEVER came across a stubborn one. Sensual Vanilla from Pure Fragrance Oils. I have tried everything I could come up with on my own, but I just can't get this oil to stay blended! I'm using a paraffin mix that I blended myself for wax melts. Originally I was at 8% then tried 7%...6%...it just won't budge. It's a very, very dense oil. I've gone as high as 225 for my wax temp while also heating my oil in the microwave for 30 seconds. It does make it thinner to work with, but the end result is still the same. I work in very small 4oz batches when testing. I stirred for over 5 minutes after 2-3 minutes wouldn't work. This is what happens: I pour a couple of small candy bar molds, and then the remainder goes into a portion cup. It's there that it separates. My melts turn out fine, even after stored for a couple of weeks. It's just what's left that's poured out that separates. The hot and cold throw is killer! So I can only imagine what it would be like if I could get it to all incorporate like it should. 

Any advice or things to try? I'm becoming so desperate I'm wanting to actually try things people offer up for suggestions in Facebook groups. Please help me!!!🤣 I need this scent in my line like we need water to live!

Edit: I forgot to say I have tried stearic acid with no luck. I was testing at 5% and 10% for other reasons, and still had this issue with this scent. 

Edited by LilFirecracker

4 hours ago, NightLight said:

For those troubly scents, try blending it with a well behaver. So if you take that scent blend it 75:25, or 50:50 see if it helps. I do that with Candle Science fragrances, a bunch make me agitated hahaha.

I wish I could! I really need this scent as it smells now. I'm not sure how or what I could blend it with that wouldn't alter it 😭 If I can't find anything else to make it work, I might go ahead and try that with another vanilla and see what happens. Thank you for that suggestion!

The description says it accelerates in soap. This leads me to believe there’s something Unusual in it. Vanillas don’t normally cause acceleration issues with soap, so when one does there’s something very odd in it.

It could be a more polar scent - which is why it won’t stay mixed. If you mix together a little of the fragrance with a somewhat clear oil like mineral oil and set it down for a while, does it separate? 

You might have some luck with an emulsifier, like cetearyl alcohol, Emulsifying wax or even “possibly” a bit of beeswax (even though beeswax isn’t truly a traditional emulsifier). 

7 hours ago, TallTayl said:

The description says it accelerates in soap. This leads me to believe there’s something Unusual in it. Vanillas don’t normally cause acceleration issues with soap, so when one does there’s something very odd in it.

It could be a more polar scent - which is why it won’t stay mixed. If you mix together a little of the fragrance with a somewhat clear oil like mineral oil and set it down for a while, does it separate? 

You might have some luck with an emulsifier, like cetearyl alcohol, Emulsifying wax or even “possibly” a bit of beeswax (even though beeswax isn’t truly a traditional emulsifier). 

Ok maybe we're getting somewhere now that you noticed something with the description. I do have some mineral oil so I'm gonna test that later once I wake up (just now going to bed and it's 7am!) I'll let you know my findings!

32 minutes ago, NightLight said:

Above TT can be helpful, or mix with another oil as many have solvent/emulsifiers in them that can help.

So using something like polysorbate 80 wouldn't be completely crazy in that case, would it? Someone in a group I normally wouldn't take suggestions from actually mentioned the poly 80. Maybe she was one of the few who actually knows a thing or 2. I've been seriously thinking about ordering some to try because I'm determined to make this work.

Just FYI, in case you can't get it working, I find Pure's Sensual Vanilla to be very similar to Just Scent's Wild Madagascar Vanilla and Aspen Caramel Woods.  (I haven't purchased any of those since 2019-2020, so any of them may have changed by now.)

On 6/25/2022 at 10:58 AM, BenderSF said:

Just FYI, in case you can't get it working, I find Pure's Sensual Vanilla to be very similar to Just Scent's Wild Madagascar Vanilla and Aspen Caramel Woods.  (I haven't purchased any of those since 2019-2020, so any of them may have changed by now.)

Thank you for this!! I'll keep that in mind just in case. I can always order samples and try!

• 4 weeks later...

On the candle side, add a few pellets of vybar ... but even then good luck if it mixes. I had a rapture scent that simply would not blend into a candle and I think it was just the batch, because it worked otherwise. Now that company and that scent are gone but it was only good if it would blend. With soap, it had no trouble. With incense, no trouble ... anything else and trouble. 

On 7/30/2022 at 9:41 AM, Scented said:

On the candle side, add a few pellets of vybar ... but even then good luck if it mixes. I had a rapture scent that simply would not blend into a candle and I think it was just the batch, because it worked otherwise. Now that company and that scent are gone but it was only good if it would blend. With soap, it had no trouble. With incense, no trouble ... anything else and trouble. 

I think I might've figured this one out. I need to make a couple more batches to know for sure. I still rate this one as really difficult as it's the only one out of close to 200 that has done that to me. I've been heating my wax (mostly paraffin) to 200-210 to compensate for the temp loss while I ladle it out of the pot. I always have my pyrex cups heating in the oven and pull one out right before pouring. I checked the temp right after I ladled the wax and it was barely making it to 175. I never thought I would lose that much heat in that little bit of time - about 30 degrees! I was always aiming for about 190 and it used to work out right, so I stopped checking the temp once I transferred it. So I raised the temp so it would be 225-230 in the pot before removing it. Made another batch and it worked like a freakin' charm that time!! I don't wanna get too happy just yet, but I'm pretty sure that was the problem. I've just been lucky with all the others not needing the higher heat, but this finicky sucker needed this bump up badly! Not sure if I feel stupid or lucky! 🤣

Edited by LilFirecracker
  • Like 1