Wicking Soy Candles / Mushrooming

ileana

Hello everyone!I am using soy wax C3 and have been using two glass jars sizes, one with dimensions 7,9 X 9,3 200 grs of wax and 30 cl and the other one 7,3 X8,8 150 grs of wax and 24 cl.I am testing with Eco wicks, LX .Stabilo and TCR following the wick charts.Everytime I get the right melting pool the wicks are mushrooming.If I change to a smaller wick mushrooming stops but I do not get the right melt pool. Has anyone dealt with that and what solution did you come up with?

Mushrooming / carbon heading is a symptom of several different things. the wick cannot keep up with the fuel being drawn through it, either from being too large,  too much FO,  too much color or other additive, etc. It is out of balance and choking off at the tip of the flame. If it were balanced the combustion would be complete leaving the wick material clear and crisp from step to tip.

Very commonly, IME, it means too large of a wick for the set up. If shooting for a full, early melt pool I would say that is the likely culprit.  Full MP is a limit, not a goal IMO.  Full pools at the top of a candle mean it will be too hot further in the burn. If you don’t already have one, an inexpensive infrared thermometer is very helpful to troubleshoot candle issues. The glass should not exceed temp limits based on your country’s safety standards.  In the US, for instance, UL standard is 140*F for glass and 125*F for metal containers.  

In soy it could also be that the candle was not cured long enough. C3 “can” be burned as early as several days, but won’t be optimal for several weeks (or more). C3 is a beautiful wax to work with, albeit it challenges my patience 😂. I want instant gratification, and it forces me to practice that good things come to those who wait.

• Like 1

Thank you so much!I am still on the testing phase meaning using plain wax (C3), no fragrances , no dyes.Trying to find the appropriate wick.To be honest I cure them for 24 hrs because I really am anxious to see if I finally got them!I will use smaller wicks and test again.Thanks again for your reply!

• Like 1

Hooray for doing baseline tests! You will be so happy you did since now you will understand the wax without any competing variables. The next lot of wax you get can be compared to this one - which makes future testing so much faster and less expensive! 

Do give it a bit of time to cure before lighting.  It takes a while for soy crystals to form and become their final sizes and strengths.  It’s like concrete in many ways.  

8 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I will be patient next time.Just saw one of your posts from 2016 where you used C3 and tested various wicks.Could not find your results though.What is your favourite wick for C3?

2 minutes ago, ileana said:

I will be patient next time.Just saw one of your posts from 2016 where you used C3 and tested various wicks.Could not find your results though.What is your favourite wick for C3?

Usually CD works well in C3 for me.  Some fragrances need a different series, such as ECO or premier.