Learn to better manage the different batches of wax - Difficulty

Hello to all candle lovers!

I start this post because I think it is an important data for all manufacturers. I have great difficulty with this.

I received a new batch of container soy wax.

Over the course of my orders, each batch is different.

According to my research it is the oil level that varies.

This last batch is squishy and much softer.
My hardest batch is quite hard. The last one is completely soft and can be cut with a knife without any problem.

All my candles are affected! And nothing works well.

What should we do when we are faced with this case?
How do you do?

- Testing again to balance your wicks?

- Or add an additive to stabilize the wax from the start. I tested with molded rapeseed, I found a harder material with which I calibrated my wicks. Have a starting reference.

For information, barely 1 to 2 percent can be enough. 5% is already too much.

What do you think of this idea of doing a test with each batch of wax to adjust the hardness of the wax by varying by just about 2%? And to find correct burns?

Thank you very much and be patient.....

Honestly I don't know what choice you have other than to test each batch. I make my own coconut wax blend, all pure coconut wax is basically mush, for scented candles and it does help to ensure stability. These are the times we live in. Pure paraffin is likely the most consistent wax.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I see we all face this.
And that it is better to order in large quantities.

"Mythreindeer", I also received this time almost porridge wax. My wax is a mixture of coconut and soy.

What do you think of the idea of:

Order a set of wax.
ith this batch, analyze the appearance of the wax. Its hardness...

Burn an unscented candle and record all burn information.

When a new batch arrives, analyze the wax and add a very low percentage (about 1% - 2%) to reproduce the texture of the old batch.
Make an unscented candle compared to burns.

So we will be sure that on the collection it works?

What do you think?

Thank you for sharing and good luck to all. It's not easy for us.

1 hour ago, Altore said:

I just got the results. With 2.5% molded rapeseed wax I get the same texture as my old batch.

Has anyone tried this idea before?

Yes, different ingredients fix loads of not so good waxes. Sometimes palm wax helps. Sometimes soy. Sometimes beeswax.

It is very challenging sometimes. The more we master different waxes the faster we can adjust future waxes to work well for us. 

i wish makers were better able to unite to demand better ingredients versus wasting so much time and money on inferior ingredients.

Not to mention, how many people never test and potentially endanger future customers? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

When things started getting really bad, I started buying more wax in a single purchase, enough to last me through at least a year.  You do need space to do this esp if you are a larger scale business.  I had to always call to ensure I was getting all the same lot # of wax in my purchase.  Aside from that, testing, like everyone said, is the only way to do it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

After many tests, indeed it is very difficult. We all wish the batches were similar!

The simplest thing for all those who are confronted with this is to provide a larger quantity of wax and to do some tests.

Good luck to all and thank you very much

• Like 1

Yes, purchase as much at a time as reasonably possible.

And purchase before the rush seasons. Manufacturers have a range of “acceptable” within batches. When they are rushing to get wax made and shipped tolerances can vary quite a bit.

Sometimes wax batches (cough cough soy) are just wetter than usual.  Given enough time you can air out those cases to at least get them usable.

sometimes we’ve seen paraffin batches that have visible signs of too much vybar (or whatever additive that brand uses).  You will need time to purchase and fully test remedies such as mineral oils or petrolatum.

there are no shortcuts to safe, reliable candles.

• Like 1

Hi @Altore.  Are you in France and purchasing waxes in your area? I would imagine too that those waxes are also different than what we have here in the USA. Yes, it's very unfortunate that there isn't stricter or narrow requirements for candle wax manufacturers. It's like they can put anything out there whenever they want. Just like with cooking, I don't understand why they don't have a specific recipe for each wax that they follow each and every time. Just like each time I want to make a particular batch of candles, I precisely follow my recipe, I don't just throw whatever in there. Except nowadays the wax is an unknown variable when it didn't use to be. Good luck with your testing.

Edited by Laura C