Candle making small businesses, container waxes, container wax blends, wax additives, wicks, sole proprietorship, llc, help

OmniiA

Hey yall so im 28 years old and used to make candles as a hobby a few years ago but im currently in the process of opening up a small business for my candles and a few other of my hand made goods.  I am so completely indecisive on whether or not to go with a blend or make my own with testing, additives etc.  I need a good container wax mainly tins with lids some glass with lids or blend that can also with stand being sold in hot temps and shipped in hot weather along with precautions ive taken with packaging to help in warm weather.  And preferably a wax or blend that also has strong hot and cold throw, and appearance is also important, im fine with additives or whatever formula.  and I am the only owner, making everything from my home but not selling out of my home at all, selling at flea markets, craft shows etc and selling online and i cant figure out whats the best route to go in terms of sole proprietorship, one member llc or what, and insurance for products, renters insurance, permits, business insurance etc, its confusing the hell outta me now, haaalp so  my question is mainly for candle business owners or whoever knows their stuff lol.  thank you in advance for any advice! What waxes and wax blends, additives do yall use with great success? What wicks? good wood wicks? Business structure did you choose and why? insurance? permits?   thanks again

Start with learning which wax you like to work with in one container and move on from there.  If you don’t love the current waxes perusing a business is going to be painful.  So much has changed since 2016.  It’s become very complex to find a consistent supply of decent wax. 

decide if you want veggie or paraffin or both/neither. All waxes have a learning curve along with equal pros and cons. We pick our poison and hope for the best these days. 

I'd like to hear what everyone is using with success, pros, cons, additives, im days away from decisions i have to finalize to at least to get started in testing to find a  professional grade quality wax or mix.  I'm aware either way i will have tons of testing to do but i'd like to look into any waxes, blends, additives im unaware of to consider those as well.  It would give me some piece of mind to hear whats been successful for others in the business and help me to narrow my list.  Ive used plenty of lower grade waxes but for starting a business i'd like to do my best in at least hearing other candle business's advice on what they use or dont as well as any legal advice, llc and insurance options that they found best for the business 

i'd prefer to use parafin only as a blender,  I'd like to know if anyone has used the coconut/parafin blends with success? ive read a lot of good but am also indecisive whether i should make my own blends through testing or if its be better to buy preblended 

Coco paraffin blends not always available. They can be very soft for example the IGI blend which has to be blended if you plan on selling outside. If you want no fail I would go with tins, as you wont have to worry about adhesion with fluctuations in temp. I would some sample waxes. Some waxes that might work for you IGI Victory blend, Accusoy 10. These are more robust than 6006 which is super soft.

Get sample wick packs CD, CDN, LX can work in parasoy.

• Like 1

@OmniiA

Business Structure

You will be dealing with Federal, State, County & City when you register your business.  So, what might be best for me in Los Angeles CA might not be best business structure in other cities, counties or states.  I have a LLC with S Corp designation that would be the best way to set up a candle business in Los Angeles CA (big tax write-off benefits of S Corp in CA and personal asset protection).  But your city or state would be different.  Consult with an attorney or your local CPA.  Good CPA should be able to help you set up your business structure that is best for you for your area.  This is not something where the answers can be found online, since we are living in a big country where local regulations are totally different from city to city, county to county & state to state.

*City business license should be still required even if you have LLC with S Corp designation.  But then, it depends on your city's requirements.  

Insurance

No one insurance company is best for every candle companies.  Even the same insurance company has different coverages and premiums for different cities, counties, states and different kind of operations.  You should consult with middle broker insurance agencies in your area to find the best policy for your city and your operation type.

Dealing with Hot Weather

No container candle would survive in back of UPS truck in desert areas like Phoenix AZ or Palm Springs CA during hot summer.  Temperature of UPS trucks cargo area go up to 150F during summer in those areas.  You need to figure out what is best for your need and keep on developing better insulation for shipping.

*I don't sell online nor flea markets because I did not want to deal with this problem.

Waxes

I don't see any preblended waxes good enough to be used in candle business.  You will have to modify them in some way to make them better to be used in candle business or blend your own from scratch.  I am still not good enough to create my own blend from scratch, so I just modify stock waxes for my candles.  Playing with different waxes and mixing them little by little.  Find out what you like and why.  If you don't know why you like your blend better than other blends, then you don't have a strong candle product.

*You will not be able to achieve both strong CT & HT in one blend, and you might have to sacrifice little bit to balance them out by blending different waxes in different portion.

Wicks

First of all, there are no good wood wicks on the current market, and none of them are reliable to be used in candle business. 

Like stock waxes, there are no good stock wick on the market either.  You will need to modify the waxes to make it work with certain wick or you will need to develop a wick to work in certain wax.  

FOs

Finding good FOs for your wax play big part in performance of CT and HT, too.  

I know this is not exact answers you wanted, but we are all in different situations and goal would be different.  Good luck with your venture!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmm actually I mentioned two waxes that might work. Palm container wax maybe good for you. Holds up in crafts fairs, you can color it and jars will stand out in a show environment.

As Busy Bee said, I haven’t met a wax that does not require something. My new wax combo is three waxes which give me what I want in a wax.

It’s what your requirements are, so for example if you don’t mind ugly tops after burning you can use many soy waxes. Do you want all natural. You have to define that, soy, palm, veggies waxes. You get my drift. 

Also regarding coconut, I tested many preblends and my own and honestly its not the holy grail and gave waxes more of an issue that anything positive.

I would get 1-5 pound samples and test and see what you like.

• Like 1