Anyone selling all paraffin candles still?

On 10/18/2022 at 4:36 PM, Ernie said:

Yah I think it is one of the best pre blended paraffin for containers , definitely one of the prettiest tops ( 2 pour unfortunately).  Only problems I have with it is the high flame you get off the first light and it gets tiny bubbles some times. I like the semi translucent look it has. It looks old fashioned in clear jars. Must be a good wax because I see it sold out everywhere.

Have you noticed a difference in the consistency of 4786 lately? The last few slabs I bought from Lone Star has been a little softer than it used to be. I can now stab it with a butter knife and wiggle it back and forth to cut it. Used to be it was too hard to cut but not hard enough to bust up with a hammer - I'd have to freeze it for a while. I had the perfect formula for my melts, but now the longevity is suffering. 

3 hours ago, LilFirecracker said:

Have you noticed a difference in the consistency of 4786 lately? The last few slabs I bought from Lone Star has been a little softer than it used to be. I can now stab it with a butter knife and wiggle it back and forth to cut it. Used to be it was too hard to cut but not hard enough to bust up with a hammer - I'd have to freeze it for a while. I had the perfect formula for my melts, but now the longevity is suffering. 

No, because I still have all my wax from before the pandemic. I am just now getting back into making candles again. What I have here is exactly what you described. Hard to cut. I messed a lot with 2281, and its pretty close to 4786 when vybar is added, just not as pretty. Still throws scent pretty good if you need alternative.

7 hours ago, Ernie said:

No, because I still have all my wax from before the pandemic. I am just now getting back into making candles again. What I have here is exactly what you described. Hard to cut. I messed a lot with 2281, and its pretty close to 4786 when vybar is added, just not as pretty. Still throws scent pretty good if you need alternative.

Thank you! I've worked on my blend for a year and a half. I hate to know I'd have to start over, but I might have to. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2022 at 12:40 PM, ErronB said:

I have some 1286 and it doesn’t throw at all, and 4627 is not the same anymore, I won’t use IGI wax again. They keep selling blatantly crap lots and it’s hurting chandlers.

You said you were going to pour some more tests with the 1286. Did you get any better results or do you think it was still a bad batch of wax? I just ordered a slab of igi 1230 to try out, do you have any experience with that wax? If so, how much FO does it need to mottle?

I have some 1286 and it doesn’t throw at all, and 4627 is not the same anymore, I won’t use IGI wax again. They keep selling blatantly crap lots and it’s hurting chandlers.

You said you were going to pour some more tests with the 1286. Did you get any better results or do you think it was still a bad batch of wax? I just ordered a slab of igi 1230 to try out, do you have any experience with that wax? If so, how much FO does it need to mottle?

2 hours ago, Ernie said:

I did pour some more and the fragrance was not binding properly at 6%, it was starting to pool at the top of the candles. I guess it can’t even handle 6% even when added at 200f. I gave up after that, I lit them after I cleaned them up and there was practically no hot throw. 

32 minutes ago, ErronB said:

I did pour some more and the fragrance was not binding properly at 6%, it was starting to pool at the top of the candles. I guess it can’t even handle 6% even when added at 200f. I gave up after that, I lit them after I cleaned them up and there was practically no hot throw. 

Are you adding additives, and where did you purchase it from, and what wick? I am doing some apothecary jar testing with what I have and I added Vybar 343 and I noticed not as strong a hot throw than without it. Using Zinc wicks single and double.  And also, that wax only holds 5% fo. Try 3 tbs stearic and see if that helps. Like I said Im going to try out the igi 1230 which also mottles to see how it compares. 

3 hours ago, Ernie said:

Are you adding additives, and where did you purchase it from, and what wick? I am doing some apothecary jar testing with what I have and I added Vybar 343 and I noticed not as strong a hot throw than without it. Using Zinc wicks single and double.  And also, that wax only holds 5% fo. Try 3 tbs stearic and see if that helps. Like I said Im going to try out the igi 1230 which also mottles to see how it compares. 

I bought it from Aztec, the last 5 IGI waxes I’ve bought from there have all been crap, same with the 6006 from the flaming candle too. I did do one with stearic as well and it made no difference. Tested using HTP / LX / Aroma- lite wicks. I won’t use zinc because they don’t self trim. 

45 minutes ago, ErronB said:

I bought it from Aztec, the last 5 IGI waxes I’ve bought from there have all been crap, same with the 6006 from the flaming candle too. I did do one with stearic as well and it made no difference. Tested using HTP / LX / Aroma- lite wicks. I won’t use zinc because they don’t self trim. 

Well I just sent Aztec an email asking them if anyone else has complained about that wax or any other IGI wax since I need to order soon. Ill let you know what they tell me as soon as they get back to me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ernie said:

Well I just sent Aztec an email asking them if anyone else has complained about that wax or any other IGI wax since I need to order soon. Ill let you know what they tell me as soon as they get back to me.

Things have gotten so bad that a lot of experienced chandlers don't even bother complaining because they know that the supplier will just say it's nothing to do with them they're just the middle man and it's the manufacturers fault, or they'll just say you're a noob and don't know what you're doing. Sometimes wax can be salvaged in blends or for other purposes, but sometimes it's just a complete loss (I've seen it a lot with soy wax).

Edited by ErronB

Here is the reply

default-user=s40-p

Customer Service (Aztec Candle and Soap Making Supplies) <support@candlemaking.zendesk.com>

8:53 AM (4 hours ago)

to me
cleardot.gif

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Your request (78499) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

aztec-square.jpg

Customer Service (Aztec Candle and Soap Making Supplies)

Nov 21, 2022, 11:53 AM EST

Hi Ernie,

We have not had any complaints/issues with the performance of 1286. It is actually one of our top-selling waxes.

Thanks,
Camilla 

Customer Service Team

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Erron, got some good news maybe :D  I ordered some igi 1230 just to try out, and turns out it is the mottling wax that I was originally looking for when I first purchased the 1286. Its not so perfect of a mottle as the 1286 which I actually like better since it shows abnormal patters depending on how the fragrance oil settles in the wax, and its also more transparent.  Its a base wax that wasn't specially formulated to mottle like 1286, so you can do what you want to it. I tried additives before with the 1286 and it never looked right. Well maybe you tried it already maybe not, but anyways thats where Im at right now.

I poured 2 candles so far, 1 with 6% and 1@10% FO. I read that it mottles at 10%, but so far 6% did it with lots of seepage. Gonna try some 343 and 260 vybar and some stearin to see what happens.

Ok got bored today so i figured out what seems to be the 1286 mottling formula using multi purpose wax for anyone interested. 6.25% stearic per pound of wax. Lol so simple. First pic is all the testers I made to get the finish result which is teal colored one that still isnt finished mottling yet. 

68F7B9E6-9137-4C0E-8705-9CDB387D1A7E.jpeg

3B84496D-819D-4A2F-B6F5-F39B3A6D011F.jpeg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 12/2/2022 at 10:02 PM, Ernie said:

Ok got bored today so i figured out what seems to be the 1286 mottling formula using multi purpose wax for anyone interested. 6.25% stearic per pound of wax. Lol so simple. First pic is all the testers I made to get the finish result which is teal colored one that still isnt finished mottling yet. 

68F7B9E6-9137-4C0E-8705-9CDB387D1A7E.jpeg

3B84496D-819D-4A2F-B6F5-F39B3A6D011F.jpeg

How did these perform during testing? Was this 1230 wax + 6.25% stearic? If so, was there any seapage of FO?

• 4 weeks later...

I know this post is old but I like the discussion. Originally I started out with soy wax not because paraffin was supposed to be bad for you, but because the burn time for soy was so much longer. After making candles for a while I did eventually add a soy/paraffin wax blend (soy 52%/paraffin 48%) to my collection because, frankly, I got tired of the difficulty of scenting soy wax. Only about 1/3 of the FO's out there seem to be able to adequately fragrance a soy candle and you have to generally use more FO in a soy candle than a paraffin. I now advertise both of my candle types and I say "some of my customers don't mind the paraffin and some prefer pure soy, and that's ok. I do have a collection of pure soy candles for your enjoyment."

If people ask me about the health effects of paraffin I just be honest with them. I say the idea of paraffin being unhealthy for you came from one study a while ago and, from what I've heard, you can't even pull that study up anymore. We have been burning paraffin candles since 1830 so I do not personally mind burning some paraffin, but I do have a collection of pure soy for those soy enthusiast. So, I guess I have the best of both worlds selling pure soy and soy blends. Although I can still have a hard time scenting soy blends waxes, even with the 48% paraffin.

For pure paraffin candles makers, I guess they will have to find the selling points. My selling points for soy are: renewable, all-natural, long burning, supports American farmers.

• Like 2