Anyone selling all paraffin candles still?

Just got done with a summer music festival and did great for the weekend. However, I am noticing more and more customers just outright bashing paraffin candles with wild claims of how toxic they are. Currently my candles are soy/coconut, but when trying to defend paraffin they tend to look puzzled as to why I am not bad mouthing paraffin wax along side them. I then go on to try to explain that no matter what wax, as long as it is properly tested and wicked it will be just fine. But they do not want to hear it and have their mind set. I usually end the sale with them saying something like "Thank god your candles are soy, or else I would not be buying it"

So..do any of you currently sell all paraffin candles? And if so, do you have to "convince" people that your candle is perfectly safe etc etc?

• Like 2

Yankee, Kringle, etc don’t seem to be suffering 🤷🏻‍♀️
I think many of the in-person markets and festivals draw “that type” of customer. It’s frustrating knowing a crappily made soy candle will sell but a much nicer paraffin/palm/etc will be snubbed. They are not our market.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Yankee, Kringle, etc don’t seem to be suffering 🤷🏻‍♀️
I think many of the in-person markets and festivals draw “that type” of customer. It’s frustrating knowing a crappily made soy candle will sell but a much nicer paraffin/palm/etc will be snubbed. They are not our market.

Ya, that is what I have been thinking all along. If Yankee, Kringle, Village sell boat loads of paraffin still then it must be ok. I just have to realize that "those people" are those people lol

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/3/2022 at 8:05 PM, bfroberts said:

All day, every day. I am fortunate. No one in my area cares one way or the other. They just want a great smelling, clean burning candle. That I can do.

Same, now if i could get some paraffin wax which was consistently good then I’d be set. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ErronB said:

Same, now if i could get some paraffin wax which was consistently good then I’d be set. 

I feel ya. My wax was out of stock from 3/30 until 5/13. I can't work like that. I considered ordering something, anything just so I could carry on, but I was afraid anything I chose would be wonky and I'd spend half a case retesting. I swear, it didn't used to be like this.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

I feel ya. My wax was out of stock from 3/30 until 5/13. I can't work like that. I considered ordering something, anything just so I could carry on, but I was afraid anything I chose would be wonky and I'd spend half a case retesting. I swear, it didn't used to be like this.

My main supplier has been out of wax since October 2021 with no ETA on when it might be back in stock. I am now forced to find another since I am on my last 10 lbs of it. I'm over it. I can't find a paraffin or even Para Soy that I like and is consistent. Tried Para Coco and that's a big fat no for me. OVER IT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

On 6/3/2022 at 6:02 PM, NightLight said:

I see a lot of candle marketed as soy, soy coconut but they do have paraffin in them. All soy urban myth. Frankly just soy is terrible but people have been brainwashed. Soy gmo etc. 

"Brainwashed" is one way to put it, LOL. And you can't always educate stupid. 😃

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I swear, it didn't used to be like this.

I know, a few years back I started making and testing candles and it was more fun and much easier to wick a nice, strong candle. That didn't last long and then the crap waxes started showing up. 😝

• 1 month later...

We make all paraffin and already went through that battle ... too many times. Either they buy or they don't but we're not going to bash waxes or cause problems for other vendors that do. Your product will sell itself if its made appropriately and if you can establish a good reputation etc. Our reputation probably is down a bit because of a string of bad luck and no fairs etc. but we're working to adjust to new waxes and testing and hopefully no more tornados or ceilings caving in or illnesses or deaths. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/13/2022 at 4:16 PM, Scented said:

We make all paraffin and already went through that battle ... too many times. Either they buy or they don't but we're not going to bash waxes or cause problems for other vendors that do. Your product will sell itself if its made appropriately and if you can establish a good reputation etc.

Yes, I totally agree with those statements, I don't like all that paraffin bashing either, it's ridiculous, creates a bad vibe and is a big turn off. As a buyer, when I come across a candle seller that is going on about paraffin being toxic or any other stupid claims, I leave their store immediately. To me it looks like they don't know what they are talking about and I don't trust them. There's nothing wrong or dangerous with using paraffin wax for candles and I believe it is food grade paraffin. If it were so dangerous and had been proved to be dangerous then it would be banned like lead wicks were. If people don't like something for whatever reason then they don't have to use it or buy it. I like and use paraffin along with several different waxes. Paraffin is better when making certain types of products. And making high quality products along with proper testing is a must, no matter which wax you use. 🤗

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/5/2022 at 5:59 AM, ErronB said:

All I use is Paraffin. Just the ease of wicking is such a relief.  You can't go wrong with IGI 4786 or one that I blend is  IGI 2281 / IGI 4627, or either of those on their own. If I could get 2281 to not bubble, the rustic translucent look of that wax with color is nice, but any additives change that.  If you like the Yankee candle mottled look IGI 1286 never changes and throws as good or better than Yankee. The 1286 is my favorite. I have always liked the mottled wax even the ugly tops look great to me. The 4786 is a pretty wax with or without color. I use it for Luxury candles with painted jars. One thing about 4786 is the wick needs to be trimmed under 1/4 because the first burn tends to cause a big flame. I posted a video showing this in this forum. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ernie said:

All I use is Paraffin. Just the ease of wicking is such a relief.  You can't go wrong with IGI 4786 or one that I blend is  IGI 2281 / IGI 4627, or either of those on their own. If I could get 2281 to not bubble, the rustic translucent look of that wax with color is nice, but any additives change that.  If you like the Yankee candle mottled look IGI 1286 never changes and throws as good or better than Yankee. The 1286 is my favorite. I have always liked the mottled wax even the ugly tops look great to me. The 4786 is a pretty wax with or without color. I use it for Luxury candles with painted jars. One thing about 4786 is the wick needs to be trimmed under 1/4 because the first burn tends to cause a big flame. I posted a video showing this in this forum. Hope this helps.

I have some 1286 and it doesn’t throw at all, and 4627 is not the same anymore, I won’t use IGI wax again. They keep selling blatantly crap lots and it’s hurting chandlers.

2 hours ago, ErronB said:

I have some 1286 and it doesn’t throw at all, and 4627 is not the same anymore, I won’t use IGI wax again. They keep selling blatantly crap lots and it’s hurting chandlers.

Weird because out of all of my waxes the 1286 probably has the best hot and cold throw. Never had a problem with it.

31 minutes ago, Ernie said:

Weird because out of all of my waxes the 1286 probably has the best hot and cold throw. Never had a problem with it.

Tell me the temp you're heating the wax to, adding fragrance, the fragrance load, and a rough guesstimate wick for a 8oz jelly jar or similar. I'll go make one right now with your process, and I'll test it in a few days.

The wax might like your process better than mine, I'm willing to give it a shot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ErronB said:

Tell me the temp you're heating the wax to, adding fragrance, the fragrance load, and a rough guesstimate wick for a 8oz jelly jar or similar. I'll go make one right now with your process, and I'll test it in a few days.

The wax might like your process better than mine, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Well first let me tell you, the box of the 1286 I have is 2 years old, so you might be right in saying you got a bad batch. I have only gotten one bad batch from IGI and that was the 4630, I posted on it showing pictures. As far as what I do with 1286 is i heat the wax to 200ish, usually im a little higher if I don't watch the Presto pot :D Immediately add coloring and mix, then I add the fragrance 6% anywhere between 185 and 200 stir till blended and pour. I have used Vybar 343 a few times but didn't really notice a difference. I use the libbey storage jars, the same one Yankee uses. All the jars I pour into are heated in the oven. As far as wicks, I have tried lx, cd, htp, paper core, Zinc, pretty much anything I have and they all worked. I would tell you the size wick, but I havn't made candles since the Pandemic started, and my wife seems to have lost my notebook with all of my notes so......yah, so I am having to go through all that wick testing again. However, I do know that the wick I have in the ones here at home all have CD wicks only because they have so many sizes and I can always get them. I have never used a small jelly jar, all the candles I pour with that wax are 1lb or more. I will poor a small jar tonight and see how it is as well.

Edited by Ernie
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 8:55 PM, Ernie said:

Well first let me tell you, the box of the 1286 I have is 2 years old, so you might be right in saying you got a bad batch. I have only gotten one bad batch from IGI and that was the 4630, I posted on it showing pictures. As far as what I do with 1286 is i heat the wax to 200ish, usually im a little higher if I don't watch the Presto pot :D Immediately add coloring and mix, then I add the fragrance 6% anywhere between 185 and 200 stir till blended and pour. I have used Vybar 343 a few times but didn't really notice a difference. I use the libbey storage jars, the same one Yankee uses. All the jars I pour into are heated in the oven. As far as wicks, I have tried lx, cd, htp, paper core, Zinc, pretty much anything I have and they all worked. I would tell you the size wick, but I havn't made candles since the Pandemic started, and my wife seems to have lost my notebook with all of my notes so......yah, so I am having to go through all that wick testing again. However, I do know that the wick I have in the ones here at home all have CD wicks only because they have so many sizes and I can always get them. I have never used a small jelly jar, all the candles I pour with that wax are 1lb or more. I will poor a small jar tonight and see how it is as well.

That’s the problem…. most of their wax batches  these days are extremely hit or miss compared to 2 years ago. I would probably use HTP / LX myself, CD get very smoky with straight paraffins.

I will still make another candle just for the hell of it, even though I used a known strong FO last time. 

Mine haven't really been smokey, but I do use one of those Yankee candle tops that keep the wind out of the candle, so my flame is always pretty good. I also found some here that I used Zinc wicks  with pretty good results with slight  mushroom, but that is the nature of the beast with those wicks. Gonna try out igi 1230 pretty soon. I want a wax that can either get great mottle or none at all unlike the 1286. I have added vybar to the 1286 and yah no mottle, but didn't look good.

On 10/16/2022 at 1:26 PM, Ernie said:

Mine haven't really been smokey, but I do use one of those Yankee candle tops that keep the wind out of the candle, so my flame is always pretty good. I also found some here that I used Zinc wicks  with pretty good results with slight  mushroom, but that is the nature of the beast with those wicks. Gonna try out igi 1230 pretty soon. I want a wax that can either get great mottle or none at all unlike the 1286. I have added vybar to the 1286 and yah no mottle, but didn't look good.

Do you feel like 4786 is one of the best container waxes? I live in Texas where it gets hot and 4630 and other really soft waxes just won't hold up if I ever do shows during the Spring/Summer and even late Fall months. 4786 seems hard and would hold up well. What are your thoughts on it? I've only used zinc wicks with it.

2 hours ago, Belinda said:

Do you feel like 4786 is one of the best container waxes? I live in Texas where it gets hot and 4630 and other really soft waxes just won't hold up if I ever do shows during the Spring/Summer and even late Fall months. 4786 seems hard and would hold up well. What are your thoughts on it? I've only used zinc wicks with it.

Yah I think it is one of the best pre blended paraffin for containers , definitely one of the prettiest tops ( 2 pour unfortunately).  Only problems I have with it is the high flame you get off the first light and it gets tiny bubbles some times. I like the semi translucent look it has. It looks old fashioned in clear jars. Must be a good wax because I see it sold out everywhere.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 5:36 PM, Ernie said:

Yah I think it is one of the best pre blended paraffin for containers , definitely one of the prettiest tops ( 2 pour unfortunately).  Only problems I have with it is the high flame you get off the first light and it gets tiny bubbles some times. I like the semi translucent look it has. It looks old fashioned in clear jars. Must be a good wax because I see it sold out everywhere.

The Candlemakers Store is stocked. That’s where I get it