CP Soap Recipe Question

I read a recipe that uses calendula - steeping dried flowers in oil and then also making a tea with the distilled water. 

This recipe interests me because my friend is growing a ton of calendulas and I thought it might be fun to incorporate them and then I found that recipe. However me not knowing anything, when I saw that the dried flowers were steeled in the distilled water, my first thought was well now it’s not distilled water. Is that legit concern or is it fine?

Not a problem.  You use distilled to prevent minerals and metal ions from causing DOS. 

be prepared for some teas to begin to burn or stink when lye is added. It usually disappears with time, but some discoloration is expected to remain.

adding things to soap can be fun, just don’t expect an magic woo like many soap sellers like to try to make believe. It’s just soap and does not cure anything.d

calendula petals are very pretty in or on top of soap.  I usually blitz them a little with the stick blender so huge petals don’t get all soggy during soap use. And when small, the petals don’t stick in the tub/shower as an eyesore. 

• Like 1

Use distilled only for soap making. I buy dried calendula and use on top and in soap. Calendula is nice to use in soaps because it doesn’t turn color. Parsley as well. Lavender no in soap turns dark and then looks like 🐜. Teas change soap color.

Oh I know all about lavender looking like ants. When I had my jam company I thought a lavender peach would be a great flavor to try and just threw a tbsp into the batch. It was definitely not a good idea. It ended up tasting good but the optics were terrible! Lesson learned and from then on the lavender got infused.

Edited by Kris10Tackles

I’m not a pro soap maker by any means but love making the stuff in summer when its a slower pace. Keep recipes simple to begin with, get fragrance oils rated for soap making. Although I love making soap prices for oils are insane.

2 hours ago, NightLight said:

Coconut oil has doubled in price. I used to buy at Webrestaurant for 35 dollars, now 70! Jeesh.

The price increases have been disgusting. >  $80 for 30 lbs palm. Used to get it delivered 65 for 50 lbs.  Ditto coconut.