HELP WITH CONTAINER CANDLES!

Lately I've been having some issues with my container candles having all of these spots after they cool.  I just recently started having these issues, and never really had them too extreme before in the past couple of years.  I'm using 50/50 464 soy and 4627 comfort blend.. same wax and ratio I've been using the entire time.  I do everything in my basement, and it is a bit cooler , maybe 68, but I've been doing them here the entire time too, and didn't have issues before.  I recently started using a digiboil, one for each wax, and mixing.  Not all of my pours have the issues, so I don't think it is necessarily the digiboil, but maybe?  I've tried pouring hotter, colder, cleaning the jars with rubbing alcohol, preheating the jars.  I had some issues before with certain jars from birch container, so I went back to fillmore container.  They usually only have one selection of the 9 oz 70/400 jars available, and I'm wondering of I'm just having issues with those, but not sure why that would be?  I usually have to go back after I pour, and use a heat gun on the entire candle to get the spots to go away, sometimes twice.  Anyone have any thoughts?  I was thinking about just switching to some black containers or something, but those will add a couple more dollars to the final price, and I like keeping these guys somewhat affordable.  Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi.. you're my only hope.

280559835_5724875347541706_3977586233141048286_n.jpg

279917155_537095104671397_2515343953798695048_n.jpg

I tried washing the jars in the dishwasher and didn't have any issues this time!  At least not on the 2 batches I made last night.  Pretty weird, but I guess it's possible that I just needed to wash the jars.  I figured wiping them down with rubbing alcohol would've been fine, but I guess not. 

6 minutes ago, Rob Space said:

I tried washing the jars in the dishwasher and didn't have any issues this time!  At least not on the 2 batches I made last night.  Pretty weird, but I guess it's possible that I just needed to wash the jars.  I figured wiping them down with rubbing alcohol would've been fine, but I guess not. 

Ahh, the isopropyl alcohol could indeed be the culprit. Although you need to make sure that there is as close to no residual wax as possible in used candle jars if you wash them in the dishwasher as that could lead eventually to expensive plumbing repairs.

The issues were happening before I tried wiping the inside with iso, I just gave that a shot to see if it would help.. it didn't.  The jars are brand new though, I don't really reuse jars.  The supplier I get them from hasn't had the normal ones I used to use in stock for months, so I've swapped to what they have for the time being.  Both are identical  9 oz straight sided 70/400 jars.  I guess with the supply issues, they get what they can get?  I have the code for the jars I used previously, and the ones they have now.  I usually use b09-01c, but now all they have is a09-01c.  I'm sure they are all imported from china, so it's strange that the original jars had no issues, and these new ones do.  Either way it seems that washing them in the dishwasher first has fixed it!

That is classic soy frosting.  Heating the jars to rid the imperfections causes worse frosting as the Re melted wax cools and crystallizes at a different rate than the rest of the candle. 

frosting can be caused by many, many factors from environmental to process to wax lots to color and similar additives. 

• Like 1

My initial thought was that it was soy frosting too, but heating the jars fixes it after the fact, and now, washing the jars has resolved any problems I was having.  Maybe it's just some sort of film left from the manufacturing process?  I never had any issues before switching jars, and only switched due to the fact the supplier can't get the originals.  Was using the old jars for the past couple years without an issue, same wax and ratio.  All of this just started in the past couple months with the new jars, hence the confusion.  Wild stuff I tell ya.

Just curious is the frosting there before you use the heat gun? Ive made candles that had no frosting then after hitting them with the heat gun to smooth out the tops, frosting formed when it dried the second time. 

I do wash wash glasses in dishwasher, and it I want super sparkling you add some TSP powder as well, that gets rid of any residue. You can use plain in dishwasher as well. They use to put in cleaning formulas but because it has phosphate in it manufacturers took it out.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lynnann81 said:

Just curious is the frosting there before you use the heat gun? I've made candles that had no frosting then after hitting them with the heat gun to smooth out the tops, frosting formed when it dried the second time. 

It is there before I use a heat gun.  It shows up about 4-6 hours after pouring, and it just started with the new jars a couple months ago.  Somehow, running the new jars through the dishwasher before I use them has seemed to fix the problem.

9 hours ago, TallTayl said:

That is classic soy frosting.  Heating the jars to rid the imperfections causes worse frosting as the Re melted wax cools and crystallizes at a different rate than the rest of the candle. 

frosting can be caused by many, many factors from environmental to process to wax lots to color and similar additives. 

I'm pretty sure it was just an issue with the jars and some sort of residue from the manufacturing process.  The issues started a couple months ago when I had to order jars, but the supplier only had one kind in stock.  Identical styles, just a new company.  Never had 1 issue before with the jars I used.  Immediately had issues with the new ones though.  The spots show up about 4-6 hours after initial pour, and heating with a heat gun gets them to go away, usually the first time.  I started running the new jars through the dishwasher last week, and I haven't had any issues since though.  Strange stuff.