Fragrance Oil tinting my wax

Guest Amy

Hi all…

How do you keep your FO from tinting your clear gel wax? Seems like some oils turn my clear gel yellowish. I’ve noticed if i use FO that is more clear it doesn’t happen.. makes sense right.. Are there companies out there that you have found sell FO that are more clear? 

Many fo’s either will have interaction with medium, or age darker, or age darker if they have vanilla. Many fragrance compounds are different shades. Some if they have essential oils in them will be various hues. You have to test.

There are clear or almost-clear oils out there, I was keeping a list years ago, but that was before sufficient information had come out about using non-polar scents with candle gel and the ones I was previously using were polar, so the list I made was probably of polar scents.  After that, I switched to non-polar scents and may have kept track of which ones were nearly colorless, I would have to dig through a notebook.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this information is current, as I recorded these many years ago.  If the supplier has not changed their source in the last decade (!) on these, it may still hold true. 

Notes I made about the following scents ... these happened to be non-polar and they were clear:

Candles 'n' Supplies -

Blueberry, Raspberry, Potpourri, Pear, Mint Chocolate, Sweet Pea, Violet

The other supplier I made notes about has a 2-lb. minimum, so I don't know if there is any interest in those or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

They are pretty, and I'm guessing the starfish must be made of wax, hopefully so ... for a couple of reasons, one of them being safety of the candle since starfish can soak up gel and f/o and are not safe near fire, (the other is about the live animal when collected).

Not using gel but I think my experiences would happen in any type of wax perhaps. 

I have a patchouli that goes brown no matter if I color it black, the brown eats it up. 

Just was going to try out Margarita, but my design is blown out because the wax turned yellow ... this is what I get for an older bottle of the fragrance probably. Still ... I just like when fragrances don't discolor.