So many 'new' fragrance oil suppliers!

GailC

Or at least they are new to me. I've been making candles since 2009 and I'm just now hearing about these companies in Facebook groups.

Little Bee Scents is one that some rave about, but I don't get it. To me the prices are astronomical but if people can and want to pay that much for FO, more power to them.

A couple more are DOOP Fragrance Co. and Starlight Wholesale. There are more, but I can't remember the names.

I guess these companies are taking the place of companies that have fallen by the wayside since 2009, like my favorite, Heaven Scent.

I just wondered if any of you have added some new companies like these to your list of suppliers? Heaven knows I don't need any more suppliers, I'm just curious.

There are many established suppliers I have yet to order from like Candle Cocoon and Cajun and New York Scents and Keystone and....

We are blessed to have so many choices here in the US.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Seems like they pop up overnight. One that I hear a lot about is Midwest but they only offer what everyone else (my main suppliers) already offer soooooo......nah.
I did start testing from NYS and MS last year and have had good luck. They both offer more unique scents that interest me.
I miss Heaven Scent too!! I still have 8oz of her Raspberry Brulee. It is soooooo good still after all this time! LOL

Edited by Lizzy
early morning no coffee in system typo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, GailC said:

@Lizzy I just finished up a bottle of Heaven Scent's Spiced Plum at Christmas time. People wonder about the shelf life of FO's. That one had to be about 11 years old.

I love Plumberry Spice (KY) from RE.  Very warm and definitely a nice Christmas seasonal scent.   Not sure what your Spiced Plum was like but here is the description Plumbery Spice:

Plump berries mixed with warm spices and a hint of spruce. 

Edited by barbaranj
  • Like 1

Forgot to mention that I ordered from VCS just last week and just grabbed a few samples to try. They are new to me. I saw a few bakery and seasonal scents that sounded good. I'm heavily into country primitive scents so I am always looking for those types of scents.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lizzy said:

Forgot to mention that I ordered from VCS just last week and just grabbed a few samples to try. They are new to me. I saw a few bakery and seasonal scents that sounded good. I'm heavily into country primitive scents so I am always looking for those types of scents.

I first ordered from Virginia Candle Supply in Dec 2020. I've been mostly pleased with their FO's. For fall, I like Spiced Pumpkin Cider. My favorite so far though is not a bakery/fall scent, Black Chamomile. It is really unique, nothing like plain Chamomile. 

Some of my customers like their Flannel. Snickerdoodle is OK, but I'm in love with CS's Snickerdoodle.

2 hours ago, GailC said:

I first ordered from Virginia Candle Supply in Dec 2020. I've been mostly pleased with their FO's. For fall, I like Spiced Pumpkin Cider. My favorite so far though is not a bakery/fall scent, Black Chamomile. It is really unique, nothing like plain Chamomile. 

Some of my customers like their Flannel. Snickerdoodle is OK, but I'm in love with CS's Snickerdoodle.

Oh I'll have to add the Spiced Pumpkin Cider to my cart. That sounds right up my alley! Is their Snickerdoodle on the spice side or sweet side? Or balanced? I currently use CW's Snickerdoodle and it's heavy on the spice side.

19 hours ago, Lizzy said:

Oh I'll have to add the Spiced Pumpkin Cider to my cart. That sounds right up my alley! Is their Snickerdoodle on the spice side or sweet side? Or balanced? I currently use CW's Snickerdoodle and it's heavy on the spice side.

I don't have any left, but seems like it was heavy on the spice side. Candlescience's is totally different. It actually reminds me of Pumpkin Pecan Waffle although the scent description doesn't mention maple or pecan; instead honey and butter along with cinnamon and vanilla. It is a sweeter scent.

I forgot to mention Apple Maple Bourbon from VA candle. I like it; no spice though. I smell apple and maple.

5 hours ago, GailC said:

I don't have any left, but seems like it was heavy on the spice side. Candlescience's is totally different. It actually reminds me of Pumpkin Pecan Waffle although the scent description doesn't mention maple or pecan; instead honey and butter along with cinnamon and vanilla. It is a sweeter scent.

I forgot to mention Apple Maple Bourbon from VA candle. I like it; no spice though. I smell apple and maple.

I noticed the same thing about CS's Snickerdoodle! I thought it was just me and my nose...LOL
Is their Apple Maple Bourbon the same as CS's? I love CS's so much!

20 hours ago, Lizzy said:

I noticed the same thing about CS's Snickerdoodle! I thought it was just me and my nose...LOL
Is their Apple Maple Bourbon the same as CS's? I love CS's so much!

I can't remember exactly but it seems like CS's was a tad better.

I bought some Apple Maple Bourbon from Midwest in a FB destash group and I just compared it to VA's. It is much more apple smelling OOB to me and not much maple, so I like VA's better.

On 5/19/2022 at 8:15 AM, Lizzy said:

I love those same type of scents too as well as Colonial/Primitive decor!

Have you tried Pilgrims Pie from NG? It's a really good primitive type scent. Their clove is also the best I've ever tried.

Some of the newer companies I've tried are Midwest (excellent scents and customer service), New York Scent, Studio, Pro Candle supply, Scented Expressions, and Natures Fragrances. I haven't really bought much lately since I haven't been making much and have so many bottles that have never been used but those are some of the newer to me companies that I've ordered from lately. 

• Like 2

On 5/21/2022 at 8:59 PM, Belinda said:

Have you tried Pilgrims Pie from NG? It's a really good primitive type scent. Their clove is also the best I've ever tried.

yeah our house is full on decked out in prim :)
Yup, I have.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 8:59 PM, Belinda said:

forgot to mention....their Nutmeg is outstanding too ;) I make myself a couple of Pillars with it every year.

There's been a LOT of buzz about Midwest Fragrance. They create most of their own scents and suppose to be releasing more soon. I love their interaction with their customers. They can still do a lot of that because they're so new. I'll probably give them a try eventually, but it'll definitely be a while!

• Like 2

Another company I just heard about recently is Porter Candle Company. I just checked out a couple of their scents and both were around $30 for 16 oz. I never pay that much for FO so I don't need to add them to my list. :)

From my observation, it seems these new companies are quite expensive. I already have too many suppliers anyway. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GailC said:

@MelissaG Ooh now I want some Petrichor. I love the that smell when it first starts to rain. No rain FO I've ever bought has smelled remotely like the real thing.

Is that what it smells like? I've never heard that word before either LOL! I would like a rain scent but like you, I've never found one that smells like rain. They're a clean floral type smell to me but not rain.

• 2 weeks later...

Petrichor is the smell of dust after rain (ever seen Dr Who? You can't forget the meaning after Amy Pond repeats it like 50 times lol). And yes, Little Bee smells just like Petrichor not flowers or anything. It's EXTREMELY powerful though. I walked into my storage room and the scent has taken over the whole room. I used what the IFRA said to use but wow it was too much I think. The scent is caused by the gases given off by bacteria in the soil when it rains. I wasn't expecting it to turn my soap purple.

7 hours ago, MelissaG said:

Petrichor is the smell of dust after rain (ever seen Dr Who? You can't forget the meaning after Amy Pond repeats it like 50 times lol). And yes, Little Bee smells just like Petrichor not flowers or anything. It's EXTREMELY powerful though. I walked into my storage room and the scent has taken over the whole room. I used what the IFRA said to use but wow it was too much I think. The scent is caused by the gases given off by bacteria in the soil when it rains. I wasn't expecting it to turn my soap purple.

Some of the reviews say it smells like potting soil. WSP’s version is hella strong, an spot on for wet dirt/soil and does not discolor.

the little bee version is OOS, so I can’t get one to compare.