Oils

Karen Ov

A carrier oil is like olive oil, corn oil, soybean oil, coconut oil, etc. often used to dilute other fragrance oils and essential oils.

an essential oil is the fragrant/aromatic oil (scent) from extracted from plants like lavender, lemongrass, peppermint, spearmint, etc.

• Like 1

I was reading an article about oils for anti aging 😒...it said pomegranate oil is great for essential oils, but then I read about frankincense essential oil. What makes frankincense an essential oil..  So I just dont get it, maybe I having one of those days..lol   

4 hours ago, Karen Ov said:

I was reading an article about oils for anti aging 😒...it said pomegranate oil is great for essential oils, but then I read about frankincense essential oil. What makes frankincense an essential oil..  So I just dont get it, maybe I having one of those days..lol   

Frankincense comes from sap exuded by a fragrant Boswellia tree. Two types of frankincense products are made: resin and essential oil. Both start with the gummy sappy resin from the tree.the resin dries into a hard nugget. The nuggets don’t smell like much of anything unless burned or distilled. The amoun of essential oil in the sap is miniscule - less than  5%.

Frankincense essential oil is made by steam distilling the gummy sap to release the tiny bit of fragrant oil (essential oil) from the resin.

You can melt the whole nugget of dried resin into oil, but it’s not an essential oil, just a melted resin suspended in oil. This is how several resins, including vanillin and others, are used in perfumery and candle fragrances. 

pomegrante oil is from pressing pomegranate seeds, like pumpkin oil is made from pressing pumpkin seeds.

i take all of here anti aging sales pitches with a grain of salt as oils applied to skin are suspend on top of the outermost (dead) layer of skin and mainly reduce TEWL (trans epidermal water loss). Basically they keep the moisture from evaporating so quickly. 

• Like 1

Carrier oil

An oil with little or no scent that is used to dilute or “carry” essential oils (scented liquid taken from plants).

Essential oil

a natural oil typically obtained by distillation and having the characteristic fragrance of the plant or other source from which it is extracted.

For skin care you want to use a carrier oil to dilute an essential oil. Essential oils are generally fragrant and potent and must be diluted for use.

• Like 1