Slimming Down Shipping Prices

I’m looking for ways to decrease shipping costs. I am open to new containers and even small flat tins so I could probably use a padded envelope, although ideally I’d like to ship small 5 x5x5 packages that weigh about a pound.

I always use pirate ship but they don’t have all the rates and I can’t seem to find a way to get shipping under $9 - it just adds so much to the price I have to charge.

Anything packed to ship that tips the scale over 15.99 oz will be about $9, no matter the postal meter. Those “temporary” rate increases over the holidays never had a chance to come back to earth. once a package gets to that 16+ oz mark, I found UPSthrough go shippo or pirate ship to be more cost competitive. The solution seems to be to encourage customers to buy multiples after the parcel hits a pound since the difference in shipping becomes very small. Three candles can ship for maybe $1 more than one, for example.  Regional rate USPS can help with close-by shipments. It takes a bit of time to figure out the best, and most economical way to ship. What a pain. 

tins are definitely lighter than glass, and can be packed using much lighter void fill.  

I started using thinner cardboard shipping boxes a year or so ago for smaller items.  The weight difference is often an ounce or two! 

I was surprised at how much lower the cost to ship on pirate ship if it is "a box in a bag"  instead of just a box.   I actually MADE a bag out of a couple grocery bags, heat shrunk them together around the box and was good to go.  Saved a couple bucks!

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, franu61 said:

I was surprised at how much lower the cost to ship on pirate ship if it is "a box in a bag"  instead of just a box.   I actually MADE a bag out of a couple grocery bags, heat shrunk them together around the box and was good to go.  Saved a couple bucks!

Thanks for sharing your magic ways! Will look into it. Shipping is getting really ridic.

• Thumbs Up 1