Gel candle top edges not sticking to glass

Guest Bellasombra

Guest Bellasombra

Hi everyone!

I have just started making gel candles and it is quite a challenging but rewarding experience when everything works out! One part that has me a bit puzzled is how the top of the gel seems to peel away from the glass, leaving air pockets all around the top edge. I am able to fix it by using a heat gun in the edges but it takes a lot of time to do so. Does anyone else have this problem or have any tips to avoid it? I have read about preheating container and lower temperature. 

Never "lower temperature" on candle gel unless you want a lot of bubbles!

I have not experienced this ... what density of gel is it?  I would think if you just use the heat gun on the outside of the glass around the edges, it should take care of it, but air pockets in gel usually means it wasn't hot enough.  What temperature are you heating it to?

On 3/31/2022 at 12:42 PM, Guest Bellasombra said:

I am able to fix it by using a heat gun in the edges but it takes a lot of time to do so.

I would just like to add ... using your heat gun while the gel is still warm is the best way (quicker, saves $ & time!)