What happened!?

Lynnann81

This candle had a very smooth top when it dried, its 464, 10% FO. Heated to 195 in digi boil, added FO at 185, poured between 140- 150 thought it was perfect because the top looked so good. I just lit it to start wick testing and sure enough there must have been a hole under the top layer. What do I do now, will it even out? How can I salvage this test? Both candles have CD16s in them im sure you can tell its the one on the bottom. 

16481622506507574604079894572390.jpg

Edited by Lynnann81
  • Like 1

Hi @Lynnann81. If it was me, and I've had this happen, just blow them out, take a skewer, skinny screw driver or something like that that will go all the way to the bottom of the candle and punch several holes all around the wicks. Take a heat gun gently to the tops to melt more wax to fill in the holes. Let them cool and harden completely and then continue your wick testing.

Excavate and fill the cavities. 

you’ll probably need to replace the wick as the length burned up when it hit the cavity. 

either poke a hole and drop a wick without a tab, or perform a wickectomy to replace the tabbed wick.

If tabbed the tab will likely wander to the side when the wax gets low.