Feather Palm Pillar Candles - Wicks and Test Burning Questions

Hi Everyone!

I have decided to begin my foray into the world of pillar candles using feather palm wax.  

Very sad that CS no longer carries the CSN wicks.  I tried the Premier wicks I have on hand, and it seemed to do fairly well, but then the flame weakens.  What other wicks should I try?

Also, since I have learned that palm wax burns first down, then out, what should I be looking for in burn progression?  For example, after two hours of burn, approximately what size should my melt pool be at that time?

The candle in the pic was burned at two hour intervals for a total of 6 hours.  How does that look?  (I used a premier wick #777)

And, finally, I poured the candle, then poked holes throughout the cooling process and did a final pour once the candle was completely cooled.  The wax in that area was not feathered, but solid.  Does anyone pour without poking holes?

Thanks so much! 🙂

IMG_5525.jpg

Edited by ComfortandJoy

You might like this thread: 

As for the solid, versus pretty crystals, that all has to do with cooling.  You know how with soy we try to discourage frosting? Palm relies on frosting for the pretty patterns. Pour hot, sloooow cool.

as for t

I’m not really sure. 

some people like RRD in palm wax. The “V” series available in the UK also comes highly recommended by some of my palm friends. 
mi have quite a few CSN in my stash. This is one of the few times being a wick hoarder is a good thing. 

@moonshine has/had a nice collection of popular sizes too. CSN 11 stands out in my brain for some reason. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2022 at 7:38 PM, TallTayl said:

I’m not really sure. 

some people like RRD in palm wax. The “V” series available in the UK also comes highly recommended by some of my palm friends. 
mi have quite a few CSN in my stash. This is one of the few times being a wick hoarder is a good thing. 

@moonshine has/had a nice collection of popular sizes too. CSN 11 stands out in my brain for some reason. 

Ha…yes I have a ton of csn11 wicks if anyone wants to purchase 

they work fabulous in palm in taller narrow vessels