Should we follow manufacturers instructions?

Brittney3202

I have been having a difficult time with hot throw using coco83 wax. Everything I’m reading is saying to add FO at around 200 F. However, I went to Accu-Blend website and they say WAY differently. They state 150-170 degrees F. Much lower temps!!! Any suggestions that could help me out are so extremely appreciated. I’m beginning to get so discouraged. 

• Like 1

Ht usually is more related to choice of wick. The key is to balance the energy needed to fully combust the fuel & fragrance given the choice of container. 

and of course, the actual fragrance makes a difference. Not all fragrances will work with all waxes. 

pouring Coco83 hot is a key to full incorporation of the fragrance and a nice finish. 

Do experiment, though, make sure to test completely - top to bottom - to ensure all of your fragrance fully blends in a cooler pot of wax. Any unblended FO can pool at the bottom and cause secondary ignition and/or flashover when a pool of FO hits the flame. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

What TallTayl said.  I have found that manufacturers recommendation are based on a few things.  1) Making sure the scent incorporates into the wax 2) Ascetics. 

I have found that increasing the temp of a low temp wax may help with some scent retention issues but generally makes for ugly candles. For instance, if it says 150 but you increase it to 175 some of the higher MP scent may incorporate better but you may end up with more wet spots or "brains". 

I would say under no circumstances should the reverse occur.  If the wax says to heat to 200F then you should really heat that high.  Otherwise your FO could pool.  Especially higher MP. And pooling may make fireballs. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hi @Brittney3202

In my opinion and experience with trying out new waxes that I'm not familiar with I say precisely following the wax manufacture's directions is definitely a good starting point. After all they did make and test the wax and they want users to like their end products so they will buy more of the wax. From there you will establish a baseline so to speak and you can start trying other things you feel the need for. And be sure to take step-by-step notes of what you do so when you find a winner you will be able to reproduce it. I have experience with Coco83, it used to be my favorite wax but I have not bought any in a few years and I'm sure the wax has changed. It used to be and it sounds like it still is a wax that has to get very hot. I always heated it up to 190-200 F and if I remember correctly I added any dye around 190 F and added FO between 170-185 F and slowly stirred with a big plastic spoon for about 2 minutes, something like that. I would get great results but that was then. I think it's fun to try new waxes, keep an open mind and enjoy.

• Like 2