Universal Soy Wax Additive

@TallTayl Decided to try some of this additive to my C-1 since I have a bag of it to increase hot throw with some fragrances.  Up to how much can I add to a pound of wax?  I'm reading 1/2 tablespoon.  Is this what you suggest?  Is there a "you added too much" limit?

GoldieMN

49 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

@TallTayl Decided to try some of this additive to my C-1 since I have a bag of it to increase hot throw with some fragrances.  Up to how much can I add to a pound of wax?  I'm reading 1/2 tablespoon.  Is this what you suggest?  Is there a "you added too much" limit?

GoldieMN

Generally I have read up to 2%, by weight. Less is more.

Back in the good old days of decent 415 it helped stabilize a naked wax, making it burn more like 464, 444, C3 and c1 to some extent. In other prepared waxes that already contain additives  I found did not solve anything.

It definitely messes with wicking, often decreasing burn quality and HT in waxes that do not require additives. When you add too much you will notice your candle will not burn well at all, often choking itself out even with giant wicks. 

On 3/3/2022 at 12:52 PM, GoldieMN said:

GoldieMN

I always used 1 tablespoon per pound of wax with soy - it helped so much with smooth tops and throw imo… I haven’t touched it in years since switching wax but today I’m making some big bowls up for patio big candles and I’m breading it out again to use up some of this old wax sitting here 

Whenever someone says you want to do X to “improve hot throw” we  have to consider what is causing the subjective “lack” of hot throw.

Every wax and every fragrance combination may require a completely different solution. There is no one magic additive otherwise everyone who adds coconut oil, crisco, one of the dozens of paraffins,  or soy additive or “love” would have excellent candles. Sometimes people claim to  improve hot throw by heating and stirring to different temps or stirring counterclockwise with a chopstick versus clockwise with a paint stirrer.  There’s no magic bullet.

Soy wax additive works on a different principle then coconut oil, beeswax, or any of the other commonly loved additives. USA is a monoglyceride of soy often used as a  food additive to provide a different mouth feel or stability to some foods. 

First we need to identify what is going on, then we can pick an appropriate solution. C1 is a combo of soy and palm with a proportion of 80% soy to 20% palm wax (last technical publications I studied anyway). Palm wax and soy wax additive / USA combine chemically differently than USA and plain non pre-blended soy. In old 415 it raised the melt point slightly and added a little stability to hold FO in somewhat better suspension. this, when otherwise made well, and wicked well, could coax out some HT and smooth the appearance of a candle a bit. Over time that old 415 wax with additive dried out, formed powdery bloom and didn’t burn or throw as well, meaning the chemical and physical changes to the candle were only slightly delayed. 

definitely play with additives. Observe the changes over time.   This type of soy additive is in c3, 444, 364, etc already. 464 is 415 with some of the additive. 444 is 415 with more of the additive.  Most of us have been using it all along when using a pre blended wax. 

With c1 I learned diluting the pre blend with a naked soy, like Midwest or 415 to reduce the soy additives already in the wax was more reliable than adding more. Everyone’s results differ - often just to tiny variables like the lot of wax, fragrance used, size/shape of the jar, wick… 

I'm not sure it will help HT with C1 but it may help tops and adhesion.  I always used it in C3 at 2 Tablespoons in 5# wax, never really noticed increase in HT there either but did help with adhesion and smoother tops that didn't morph nearly as much over time.