Help with wick!

Lynnann81

I am using 464, 12% FO, and the embossed jar from the dollar tree, this jar is just under 4in in diameter on the inside. CD20s were way to big, so im testing a CD14 & CD16 currently. I am on my 4th 4hr burn and im confused by the results. The candle on the right is the CD16 it is not reaching full melt on one side, the CD14 is melting to the sides but leaving a slight residue. Each burn I have had to clip the wick due to some mushrooming. Why is the smaller wick preforming better? I know I didnt confuse the wicks when I poured they are marked on the bottoms. I used 12% because the Baja cactus blossom I purchased from Aztec has hardly and scent at all. 

20220220_155822.jpg

20220220_155803.jpg

• Like 1

It sounds counterintuitive, but a smaller wick allows for the pool to melt wider and deeper.  Think of a wick like a straw. A bigger straw draws more fluid through.

the soot in the pics posted above clearly point to too much (or the wrong series) for this candle.  
some of the soot could be from too much fragrance. 

the neck of that jar will continue to build heat convection at an increasing rate.

did you cure your candle before lighting? 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

TallTaly im sorry I just saw your response, what series wicks do you think I should try? I purchased the 20.5 oz status jars and am having difficulty wicking them as well, tried the CD10,12, &14. The 14 is causing soot the 10&12 are leaving behind residue all are mushrooming to some extent. I followed another users instructions with the 12oz status, CD12s worked out really well for the little vessel guess I was hoping the same would be true for the larger. I am using GB464, 10%FO, stopped using dyes. 

2 hours ago, Lynnann81 said:

TallTaly im sorry I just saw your response, what series wicks do you think I should try? I purchased the 20.5 oz status jars and am having difficulty wicking them as well, tried the CD10,12, &14. The 14 is causing soot the 10&12 are leaving behind residue all are mushrooming to some extent. I followed another users instructions with the 12oz status, CD12s worked out really well for the little vessel guess I was hoping the same would be true for the larger. I am using GB464, 10%FO, stopped using dyes. 

Generally we narrow down wick sizes by the inner dimensions of the container.  

for weird shapes, like tapers, the narrowest diameter will be the biggest consideration, along with the very bottom dimension. Any container with a neck, no matter how slight, will contribute to hotter air convection through the life of the candle. 

squares containers are challenging since the corners make people tend to overwick. allowing for a bit of hang up solves a lot of issues.

With 464, typically cd, eco, square braid are most common.  More depends on the actual box of 464 you have on hand and the fragrances being used. Soy wax has been so unreliable for years we start with a ballpark and fine tune from there. Depending on the diameter, you may need to try double wicking.  I try to single wick anything less than4”, especially if the jar is taller than it is wide.

Your FO will have a bigger impact on the burn than most everything else. Given the many, and frequent  reformulations it’s become unpredictable how any will perform these days. 

You are not alone. The more you learn about your wax, the faster testing will be in the long run.

This is not as quick and simple a craft to master as many would lead us to believe. It’s a pretty big responsibility to provide a safe product for igniting a flame in another person’s home. 

I dont understand.

On 2/21/2022 at 12:49 PM, TallTayl said:

It sounds counterintuitive, but a smaller wick allows for the pool to melt wider and deeper.  Think of a wick like a straw. A bigger straw draws more fluid through.

the soot in the pics posted above clearly point to too much (or the wrong series) for this candle.  
some of the soot could be from too much fragrance. 

the neck of that jar will continue to build heat convection at an increasing rate.

did you cure your candle before lighting? 

I an using 4 oz smooth sided jelly jars and joy wax the recomended wick is a cd4. Also tried cd5 but I should go down in size. I cant find a cd3 and dont like zink. Any thoughts.

Thanks

Shawn

2 hours ago, Back said:

I dont understand.

I an using 4 oz smooth sided jelly jars and joy wax the recomended wick is a cd4. Also tried cd5 but I should go down in size. I cant find a cd3 and dont like zink. Any thoughts.

Thanks

Shawn

I found cd2 at sixteen seventeen,com

you can also try cdn series. They are the same braid as cd. It with a second chemical treatment for acidic natural waxes. Sometimes you can get in between burns with cdn vs cd

sometimes premier series fill in well too, I stopped testing them mid pandemic when everything went OOS everywhere. Liked them well enough in some waxes and jar combos.