Make Your Own Fragrance Oil

alawishy

Hello All, newbie here!

I'm interesting in making my own fragrance oil.  I've made an essential oil and now I'd like to transfer that to a candle, but with the EO I'm lacking both hot & cold throw in the candle.  I was thinking if I could transform my EO to a FO, I could have better hot & cold throw in my candle.

The only FO supplier I've seen which lists out MSDS is Nature's Garden, so I've been checking there to see what typically goes into a FO.  And wow, there are a LOT of ingredients!  I've seen a few single note FO which have Benzyl Benzoate as the main ingredient, so I've mixed my EO with Benzyl Benzoate to create my test FO.  The candles still have a very subtle hot & cold throw.

Any tips from you folks out there?  Anyone else gone down this rabbit hole? 😃

Aromachemical blends for candles can be pretty complex. WSP also lists documents that might help, but without knowledge and access to the right aromachemicals it’s a pretty expensive and long learning curve.

I would visit basenotes forum and places like the perfumers apprentice to learn about the aromachemicals,  resins and diluents needed to assemble the safe common blends used for personal care and candles. 

what essential oils have you made and how did you make them? Many EO require particular methods (and a staggering amount of raw plant material)  to really capture the tiny amounts of essential oils from plant materials.  

Just now, TallTayl said:

Aromachemical blends for candles can be pretty complex. WSP also lists documents that might help, but without knowledge and access to the right aromachemicals it’s a pretty expensive and long learning curve.

I would visit basenotes forum and places like the perfumers apprentice to learn about the aromachemicals,  resins and diluents needed to assemble the safe common blends used for personal care and candles. 

what essential oils have you made and how did you make them? Many EO require particular methods (and a staggering amount of raw plant material)  to really capture the tiny amounts of essential oils from plant materials.  

Thank you for the response.  I've only made one EO, because I've been unable to locate it anywhere as a FO!  It's a bush found in the dessert called the Chaparral bush.  It's quite common to make an EO from the bush because it contains healing properties and has various uses, but I haven't been able to track down anyone making a fragrance out of it for candles.  My method was to clean and then pack a large amount of the leaves into a container.  I then covered the leaves fully with fractionated coconut oil and let it sit for a week before straining. 

1 minute ago, alawishy said:

Thank you for the response.  I've only made one EO, because I've been unable to locate it anywhere as a FO!  It's a bush found in the dessert called the Chaparral bush.  It's quite common to make an EO from the bush because it contains healing properties and has various uses, but I haven't been able to track down anyone making a fragrance out of it for candles.  My method was to clean and then pack a large amount of the leaves into a container.  I then covered the leaves fully with fractionated coconut oil and let it sit for a week before straining. 

Ok, so you made a sort of infusion, not an essential oil. that, as you discovered, really won’t scent as strongly as a pure essential oil. It generally takes 6% (give or take depending on the particular one) of the pure essential oil in a candle wax to really expect it to smell like a scented candle. That amounts to about an ounce of the pure essential oil per pound of wax. To give an idea of how much material is needed, it takes about 6 pounds of lavender flowers to distill an ounce of pure essential oil to scent one pound of candle wax for a typical candle. Chaparral is not a plant that produces any real volume of oil per se, but has some resinous smelling aroma particles  in a waxy substance that some people infuse or tincture in alcohol for holistic uses.

Extraction of pure essential oil usually involves steam distillation, chemical extraction or cold pressing (depending on the plant)  to coax the volatile EO from the plant material. Chaparral does not come up as an essential oil in any of the direct manufacturers I’ve ever worked with… 

5 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Ok, so you made a sort of infusion, not an essential oil. that, as you discovered, really won’t scent as strongly as a pure essential oil. It generally takes 6% (give or take depending on the particular one) of the pure essential oil in a candle wax to really expect it to smell like a scented candle. That amounts to about an ounce of the pure essential oil per pound of wax. To give an idea of how much material is needed, it takes about 6 pounds of lavender flowers to distill an ounce of pure essential oil to scent one pound of candle wax for a typical candle. Chaparral is not a plant that produces any real volume of oil per se, but has some resinous smelling aroma particles  in a waxy substance that some people infuse or tincture in alcohol for holistic uses.

Extraction of pure essential oil usually involves steam distillation, chemical extraction or cold pressing (depending on the plant)  to coax the volatile EO from the plant material. Chaparral does not come up as an essential oil in any of the direct manufacturers I’ve ever worked with… 

Good to understand the difference between infusion and essential oil, thanks for explaining.  So since no-one is making the essential oil, do you think that means it's not possible?