Warning label requirements

LisaMW

I know that there are plenty of threads about warning labels, but I can't seem to find the answer that I'm looking for. I'm wondering about hazard pictograms. Some generic warning labels don't use any pictograms others use the exclamation mark. Alot of the SDS' that I have looked at place other symbols in their report such as the fish for environmental hazard or the man with the star on his chest for health hazard. Are those symbols also supposed to be on the warning label? My thought process is this even though there is no official overseer of the candle business, proper labeling for weight, business location, product identifying terminology, and contact info is still expected to be on the labels. Does that mean we should also be paying more attention to identifying potential hazardous chemicals our candles? Or do those hazard warnings apply more to when a chemical is in its original liquid form? 

I also have a similar question when it comes to The Right to Know Act. I live in New Jersey which often is listed on the the SDS under the Right to Know. I am under the impression that this is more for factory employees, but it is titled the Worker and Community Right to Know Act. 

Do any of you change your label based on your fragrance or do you just use a generic label fragrance?

This might help with a few of your questions real to candle safety labeling: 

http://www.eca-candles.com/pdf/WorldCandleCongress/ASTM Standards and the Candle Industry - Becker Moss.pdf

several versions of this type of presentation are still available, published by different group.  I query using words/phrases like, 

- ASTM Candle Safety

- ASTM 2714 candle safety

i get enough different hits each time to scroll through to compare presentation wording and interpretation of thhe standards.

labeling (manufacturer, weight, etc.) falls under the consumer protection act. Marie Gale is our small industry standard interpreter for beauty products. While not directly candle related, some of the standards do directly apply to candles, melts, etc. as they are general requirements in the US. 

https://www.mariegale.com/quick-labeling-faq/

I have not delved into occupational safety requirements (right to know). 

I’m so glad we are having these types of discussions more. ❤️ Thank you for starting this thread. 

Those are great references. Thank you.

Here's an article that talks about what GHS is and what the different hazards are GHS Labeling Requirements: The Definitive Guide [2021 Update] | Luminer.

Everything that I've been coming across seems to indicate that hazardous chemicals are labeled for work force use, but that same labeling isn't required for consumer goods (at least not yet). I find it hard to believe that consumer product safety commission or OSHA hasn't created some kind of overriding rule or law that pertains all products made with a chemical element. If there is a law, it's really hard to find.

• Thumbs Up 1