Has anyone taken the latest Etsy Survey about “ seller protection”?

TallTayl

4D32F207-6ED2-46E3-A81D-E1332D8ECC68.png

my link came this morning.  I’m not super jazzed about the quickie refunds in full for “not matching description”. People just don’t read descriptions, nor do many look at all the photos 🙄. For instance, I got  several comments in reviews like, the description and picture of the item with a ruler  said 4 inches, but I thought 4 inches was bigger. Or, the unscented candle had no scent, i am very unhappy. 😬😬. By the bullet point it sounds like Etsy would force a full refund 🤷🏻‍♀️

i would love to see UPS as a shipping option to keep shipping in Etsy to satisfy their requirements. Usps just got out of hand with delays, even last year. Packages can sit for days, or not be scanned.  Customers get twitchy and take it out on sellers, even when we shipped them early. 

I offer refunds for products when returned, but small $ items are “not worth it” according to customers who just expect to keep and get a full refund an item if they claim they “are very unhappy”. Some get quite rude, thinking the more rotten they treat me/seller the faster they get what they want. 

I hope Etsy doesn’t screw over sellers again with hassle free full refunds for customers. 😢

• Shocked 1

Yes, from a seller's stand point, this info from Etsy doesn't sound so good or reassuring for the seller. Yikes, wonder how this will play out. And yes, @TallTayl, I totally agree with you about some buyers don't bother to read product descriptions, don't understand units of measure, etc., etc. Some buyers make mistakes and then want to blame it on the seller. I can't stand that. Oh, and how about all the thousands of packages that were looted and stolen out in Los Angeles? I don't blame the sellers for that big mess. Wonder how Etsy would address something like that? I can see more of that happening in the future.

• Like 1

Oh I don't like this one bit...I just had a buyer purchase 8 shawls, and return all but one claiming they didn't fit (and didn't contact me just shipped it back.) I don't offer returns, and she just decided to ignore that. I refunded her money and she still left a review about them being too small (I have the measurements listed, and the shawl I make is more generously sized than most.) I feel she just wanted to see all the colors I offer and decide in person which she wanted. With the extra cost to ship and insure I didn't make much on the sale. I just feel like Etsy already doesn't protect us much so this is a step in the wrong direction!

Thank you for letting me vent...99% of buyers are wonderful but the 1% can get you down. Etsy doesn't need to enable them more. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It’s ALWAYS the 1% that gets to us. It’s a “cost of doing business” that grinds us to either form a thick skin or move on to something else (which is a big loss to so many who love our work).

I hope you didn’t have to refund the original postage. In the US we are no obligated to. In UK, I understand that is a requirement 😢

as far as Etsy, they frame this as a plan to help us little sellers out, but we all know Etsy is out to only help Etsy. Etsy is trying to compete with Amazon, but it’s jus not the place.  If customers were willing to pre-pay pay me $125 a year for membership as they do to purchase from Amazon I might be inclined to brush this nonsense off. If things get to shady we will ll just leave and the drop shoppers will have their own home at Etsy. 

• Like 1

My goodness, people can be so stupid!!!  I haven't ordered from Etsy since the last time I got my tins for my perfume, just haven't seen anything really to buy.  But, my two times when I ordered my tins, some of them had a dent in them.  Cause they weren't packed well, although I didn't leave bad reviews or ask for returns.  I figured it was better to just see if I could find another place to get them from.  

My husband writes books and sells them on Amazon.  Unfortunately, the ones who actually like the books never say anything.  It's the ones who don't like them who always seem to write the reviews and are angry!!!!

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this TallTayl...:sad2:

• Like 1

Sounds like they are going the Ebay route. I was looking at flipping items once but after reading the horror stories from Ebay sellers about "Item Not As Described" cases it turned me off from selling on there. You can't flat out refuse refunds there either, buyers can refund for any reason at any time even if the listening states "no refunds." Sounds like Etsy might follow suit. I'd honestly recommend starting your own websites and direct as much traffic to it as you can through social media, ads, etcetera.

• Like 2