Is my melt pool to deep?

Lynnann81

Im using GB 464, 12% FO strawberry and Guava, 3 CD8 wicks in a 4 inch round straight side jar. I reached a 1/2 inch melt pool at 1 hour 15 mins, maintained until 2 hour mark. 2-4 hour mark MP went slightly over 1/2 inch but only by 2 millimeters, this was first 4 hour burn test. Should I wick down? Unfortunately I don't know how to attach a picture. 

Even without a pic I would answer Yes for too much MP for that candle that early in the burn. By mid point it will really heat up.  By the end it will likely heat up to a dangerously hot candle with potential to crack the jar. An overly hot jar can damage the surfaces it rest on.

Get yourself an infrared thermometer and take temps of the glass, especially where the flames point and at the rim, again close to the flame direction.  If at any time you exceed 175*F it will not pass the ASTM limit for candle safety. 

• Like 2

After cooling for the day I lit this candle again, it still smelled good so figured Id burn it even though thanks to the replies I know to definitely wick down on my next trys. This time the MP was only a few mm deep and my wicks struggled to stay lit. One burned out completely but once relit stayed lit until I finally put it out. This confuses me, any idea why that happened, complete opposite from the first burn. I just ordered CD4,6,&7s, any suggestions on what wick I should try on the next burn test? Will still be using 464, 12% FO same 4inch glass vessel. Im very new to candle making so any help would be appreciated!

16 hours ago, Lynnann81 said:

After cooling for the day I lit this candle again, it still smelled good so figured Id burn it even though thanks to the replies I know to definitely wick down on my next trys. This time the MP was only a few mm deep and my wicks struggled to stay lit. One burned out completely but once relit stayed lit until I finally put it out. This confuses me, any idea why that happened, complete opposite from the first burn. I just ordered CD4,6,&7s, any suggestions on what wick I should try on the next burn test? Will still be using 464, 12% FO same 4inch glass vessel. Im very new to candle making so any help would be appreciated!

Hi @Lynnann81. I agree with what the others have said, at first consideration or at first burn, sounds like it is over wicked. Roughly or ideally a melt pool should grow wider about an inch per hour. So a 4 inch diameter container candle should take about 4 hrs to melt all the way across. At that point the melt pool should be around 1/2 in. deep. And the jar shouldn't be too hot to touch or over 175 degrees F. You have to keep in mind that as a candle melts its way down deeper in the container, more heat gets trapped and the jar temp keeps rising.

But, let me back up and ask you a few questions. These are some things to consider.

1. Sounds like it is a new candle you just made and the first burn. Is that correct?

2. How long had the candle cured? With soy I believe you want to wait about 2 weeks before burning.

3. How full was the container? Was the wax right up close to the lip of the container? Or was there some breathing room, 1/4 - 1/2 inch? I've noticed the exact same candle will act differently on the first couple of burns if one was filled fuller, closer to the lip, than the other one.

4. Higher percentages of fragrance oil, such as 12%, can effect the way a candle burns as well. You may also want to test 10% FO.

Do some searches on here for wicking help/tips because this has certainly been discussed a lot and is the hardest part of making a great candle.

Additional Wicking Info Sources:

https://www.theflamingcandle.com/blog/commonly-asked-question-why-is-my-candle-burning-out/

https://www.theflamingcandle.com/troubleshooting/

https://support.candlescience.com/hc/en-us/articles/201389230-What-is-a-melt-pool-