Uneaven surface even after heat gun

Claire2022

Please help- I'm fairly new to candle making,had good success with lavender and ho wood fragrance oil,nice surface,good scent throw etc. I'm now trying Sae Spray oil,it's a nightmare,really bad surface no matter how many times I use the heat gun. The oil seems really thick when I pour it in and doesn't mix easily, I wonder if I'm pouring too hot???

3 hours ago, Claire2022 said:

Please help- I'm fairly new to candle making,had good success with lavender and ho wood fragrance oil,nice surface,good scent throw etc. I'm now trying Sae Spray oil,it's a nightmare,really bad surface no matter how many times I use the heat gun. The oil seems really thick when I pour it in and doesn't mix easily, I wonder if I'm pouring too hot???

It’s possible something is not blending well between the fo and wax.  

Lot of chandlery has to do with heating and holding temps along with pouring temp and cooling rates. 

sometimes the fo doesn’t want to blend for whatever Re.  Sometimes lowering % and increasing temp and blending help. 

On 1/30/2022 at 11:53 AM, Claire2022 said:

Hi @Claire2022. Be sure to search on here for fragrance oil blending help if you haven't already, there is lots of info on here. Here's some things you need to consider. 

1. Make sure the fragrance oil you are using is made for candle wax and not for just soap, etc.

2. Check the FO info to see if it says it works best with a particular candle wax as well as the recommend blending temp and percentage to use.

3. Are you adding any additional binders or additives to your candle mix? Sometimes those things will prevent proper binding if not used correctly.

Not sure of what you are doing. Make sure you add your fragrance at 180-185 and stir in very well.

Candlemaking is a lot of technique. Making sure you add fragrance at above temp and hold it there for two minutes to incorporate, pour at exact temps for your wax. Not all fragrances are made for candles, check what you got.

Heat gunning. This is my personal peeve. This is only a coverup for bad wax. Most waxes are a huge fail at heat gunning and can make soy candles look even worse. Bumpy, pitting.

If this is a concern, you can modify your wax, change waxes, use a blend of waxes.