Jump to content

Melted chocolate texture with waxes.


Recommended Posts

Hello.

My problem is that all waxes have two states, solid or liquid. 

I am trying to achieve a melted chocolate consistency while melting wax blend in a temperature controlled heater. And it has to be solid (enough) after cooling. Bonus points if it still can be burned after.

Before I go crazy with trying everything in the house like flour, starch, etc. maybe any of you have expertise on giving waxes these properties, let me know. 

Lugupidamisega

Reigo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You might find what you’re looking for looking through cosmetics recipes. Lipstick, for instance, got me down a path of waxes and esters that form gel like structures in anhydrous products. Sunflower, ozokerite, rice bran wax, etc. come to mind.

 

some polymers are used in candles  also that change melt behavior.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/27/2022 at 6:55 PM, Rolldabeatz said:

I understand that if I add oil it will make it into a paste, indefinitely. Or when it cools does it harden enough to to stay in structural shape?

So you want something thin like chocolate to drizzle, but then harden after you're done?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LilFirecracker said:

Ok so you're not looking for an everyday candle wax then.... I'm so sorry. I can't help you. Hopefully someone that knows will see this and give you some info. Good luck!! 😃

Im still looking for candle wax that would be more malleable like melted chocolate when heated. Freeman wax i brought as an example. I cant use it cause it does not burn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I gave you a link. You need to take a hard wax, basically dilute with liquid oil or butter until til you find ratio and texture you like. First hard wax is solid, then dilute it 20, 40, 60 tests see how you like it. This is all about testing.

now Mind you once you dilute to semi firm stage in warm weather most likely it will be liquid.

  • Mind Blown 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I misunderstood. I thought you said you were looking for a wax that was NOT burnable. Ok let me ask a couple of questions. Where are you located. I'm still confused on what you're trying to do. What exactly are you making? Just trying to figure out what you're making and why a typical candle wax wouldn't work. At first it sounded like you were trying to make a candle or melts with drizzle. But now I don't know. I'll be around here for a while so I'll try to answer back ASAP!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NightLight said:

I gave you a link. You need to take a hard wax, basically dilute with liquid oil or butter until til you find ratio and texture you like. First hard wax is solid, then dilute it 20, 40, 60 tests see how you like it. This is all about testing.

now Mind you once you dilute to semi firm stage in warm weather most likely it will be liquid.

I am trying right now with coconut oil, and i will go more liquid soon after if this does not work. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LilFirecracker said:

I misunderstood. I thought you said you were looking for a wax that was NOT burnable. Ok let me ask a couple of questions. Where are you located. I'm still confused on what you're trying to do. What exactly are you making? Just trying to figure out what you're making and why a typical candle wax wouldn't work. At first it sounded like you were trying to make a candle or melts with drizzle. But now I don't know. I'll be around here for a while so I'll try to answer back ASAP!

Im trying to squeeze it through a nozzle, and best would be if it would behave like melted chocolate, one would say exactly like chocolate ideally the same consistency.

Edited by Rolldabeatz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay if you want drizzle for a candle you do not necessarily need the consistency of what you were describing. You want melt wax and drizzle it and it will look like what I think you want to achieve. Google pastry candles, cakes you will see various techniques 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NightLight said:

Okay if you want drizzle for a candle you do not necessarily need the consistency of what you were describing. You want melt wax and drizzle it and it will look like what I think you want to achieve. Google pastry candles, cakes you will see various techniques 

 

Nono, i want to squeeze the wax through a nozzle, wax should harden and i should be able to squeeze another layer on top so it would stay in shape and harden also. On the picture you can see the flow i need from the nozzle, and right after it is squeezed it should harden so i can add another layer on top and it would harden also, and so on, 

73A53BB2-238C-49D0-BF33-F8B3D465B0F9.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rolldabeatz said:

Nono, i want to squeeze the wax through a nozzle, wax should harden and i should be able to squeeze another layer on top so it would stay in shape and harden also. On the picture you can see the flow i need from the nozzle, and right after it is squeezed it should harden so i can add another layer on top and it would harden also, and so on, 

73A53BB2-238C-49D0-BF33-F8B3D465B0F9.jpeg

Another question. Are you going to need to use attachments or have it come out of the nozzle with a certain shape, like in the pic you just posted? Or would it be just a typical drizzle? If you don't need anything but a typical drizzle, you can still use your regular wax and just have it cooled off just enough to do the drizzle. Then it would harden like what your wax usually does and you're ready for the next layer. But something's telling me that's not it. 

 

So are you looking for a wax with icing consistency that will harden even more after it's piped out with whatever you're using? I'm sorry for so many questions but I'm still trying to wrap my head around what you're trying to do. Sounds like you might be wanting a whipped wax. You can work with it just like you would icing, but unless someone else knows something more - it wouldn't harden up any more than what it is once you finish piping it. It'll still be firm enough to do your layers and whatever else though. If that's what you're looking for, we can call on someone who does whipped wax to try to help you. I don't do whipped, but lots of members on here do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, LilFirecracker said:

Another question. Are you going to need to use attachments or have it come out of the nozzle with a certain shape, like in the pic you just posted? Or would it be just a typical drizzle? If you don't need anything but a typical drizzle, you can still use your regular wax and just have it cooled off just enough to do the drizzle. Then it would harden like what your wax usually does and you're ready for the next layer. But something's telling me that's not it. 

 

So are you looking for a wax with icing consistency that will harden even more after it's piped out with whatever you're using? I'm sorry for so many questions but I'm still trying to wrap my head around what you're trying to do. Sounds like you might be wanting a whipped wax. You can work with it just like you would icing, but unless someone else knows something more - it wouldn't harden up any more than what it is once you finish piping it. It'll still be firm enough to do your layers and whatever else though. If that's what you're looking for, we can call on someone who does whipped wax to try to help you. I don't do whipped, but lots of members on here do. 

My wax is in a temperature controlled tank, melts and flows down a pipe, cools and becomes creamy while gears push it out of a 1mm nozzle. 
Today I tried palm, soy, bee, olive, rapeseed, paraffin wax and coconut, rapeseed oil + gel(mineral oil, paraffin) mixture (everything i got :D). It gave me very chunky results, but it did kind of work and is pretty solid. Although i have to figure out what is causing these junks because it clogs the flow.

766A8E2C-B677-40FC-8A52-7DD3859AD0AA.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It sounds like you want to mass produce. I think this has to be more of an embellishment by hand. You want to piped look and that will be difficult with your equipment. You will have more control if you do by smaller batches me thinks.

do you want the texture in a molded candle? I would make a model and get it cast for the look then pour with you tanks.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, NightLight said:

It sounds like you want to mass produce. I think this has to be more of an embellishment by hand. You want to piped look and that will be difficult with your equipment. You will have more control if you do by smaller batches me thinks.

do you want the texture in a molded candle? I would make a model and get it cast for the look then pour with you tanks.

Not sure what you mean, but no, i like designing candles. This was my school project and i am still in development. Now that technology has caught up i have had some progress. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone still following this topic but, i started braking down what is inside “chocholate” glaze. What can i use in a candle are coconut oil, hydrogenated palm oil(wax?), cocoa butter. My theory is that sugar and cocoa powder act as some kind of mass that unify everything into always more paste-like consistency when melted. But i cant use them in a candle, so what if i replace sugar with pine sap, and flour or something else instead of cocoa powder?


Still rough but getting there, soon i hope to get to more complex shapes and scenarios. Wicking and filling are going to be next parts. 
Cant wait until i can start playing with colors and essences :3
 

My first successful 3D printed Candle 03.2.2022

03E8C013-987F-4BCC-BF15-D1E65C7829A3.jpeg

 

1236EC35-5C05-4ADE-97FC-F9663E89C76D.jpeg

Edited by Rolldabeatz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...