igi 6006 LOT# T2102999, bad batch of candles

NAJAHINCUSA

Hi everyone,

long time reader, first time poster.

I have an issue and I wanted to know if anyone else is having this issue as well, I purchased two cases of igi 6006 in the end of November and I am starting to use them now. I have noticed the texture of the wax has changed and my candles are just crackling like no tomorrow. Gone is the sticky and slimy texture that comes with igi 6006. This batch is rock solid and smooth and very hard to cut. I have attached photos for everyone to see. Any advice or help would be much appreciated. I bought this batch from Aztec Candle supply. 

IMG_1740.jpeg

IMG_1750.jpeg

IMG_1746.jpeg

IMG_1747.jpeg

IMG_1749.jpeg

IMG_1741.jpeg

• Shocked 3

Aw man! That is horrible.  I’m so sorry this is happening to you and your candles. 

the wax looks “short”, as in not stretchy. Seems like lots of old reliable paraffins from IGI and other places that sell their own “brands” of IGI formulas have had similar things happen over the last several years.

If you are looking to repair this lot, I would look into one of several ideas, probably a combo:

- a paraffin with few to no additives to dilute the issue this lot has.

- a rubbery kind of container wax, like 4786. 4786 tends to stretch versus tear apart with stresses of being a container wax

- a vaseline type of wax like white petrolatum or 4627. Both are greasy feeling and can lube the wax grains.  It is hard to tell from the photos, but it looks to be tearing due to large soy granules just losing their grip on each other. 

one or none of these may solve it, but since you have more than once case it is worth a shot.  Otherwise, destash that bad stuff locally and hope for a better lot with the next order.

It is all needlessly frustrating to be stuck with crap wax. We have had no recourse with wax manufacturers or the retail resellers since the craptastic waxes began flooding the market around the 2016 time frame. At first we thought paraffin blends would be immune as the issues started with soy. Boy were we WRONG.  

• Like 1

Yikes. Okay try this just to test because it is winter. Get a large heating pad and set on low. Preheat it for 45 minutes,

then pour you tester and see if this helps with cracking. Make sure your room temp doesn’t go super cold at night wherever you make candles. Do another tester add 15 per cent very soft paraffin. If you don’t have use Vaseline as tester and see if that helps. 
And then contact where you bought wax and show photos!

Even if cooling a candle controlled, the risk of a short wax that cracks like this is that it will happen when shipped in cold seasons. One of my worst crackly wax candles were in 444 that appeared months later, IN a controlled environment. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had trouble with a wax I tried from Aztec. Ended up being "their brand of IGI" like TallTayl mentioned. 4633. Had the consistency of 4630, if not softer. Could not use it in my formula at all. I reordered from my original place, and it was a little bit different - bit doable with a couple of percentage adjustments. I hope one of the suggestions TT gave you helps you salvage that lot....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the advice, I ended up just buying a new batch from a different supplier.  Still igi 6006 and great results again like always. Upon further testing I determined that the batch of wax sent to me was contaminated with dirt and dust. The dirt/dust was causing a ton of air bubbles, which led to these cracks. I didn’t have air bubbles on the outside of the jar but unfortunately the debris inside the wax was leaving air pockets and causing the wax to crack. I contacted Aztec, and they wouldn’t assist me in a refund or replacement as it had already been past my return window. So lesson learned, test your wax upon delivery, especially if you order in advance like me because of supply chain issues.

Also if your wonder why I didn’t notice the debris beforehand, I use a melting pot to heat up my wax. I then pour my already heated wax in a pouring pitcher and throw in color dye right away. And if your a candlemaker, you already know color dye is usually pretty dark. So I wasn’t able to see the debris. It was only when I had to make a batch with no color dye did I notice this. 

So hopefully if someone else experiences candle cracks in the future, make sure to check your wax for debris.

Edited by NAJAHINCUSA
  • Like 1