Caution label for melts

LilFirecracker

I notice that all of the ready-made caution labels for melts have "Discontinue use is less than 1/2" of wax remains." There are many, many people who melt so little at one time that it doesn't even cover the bottom of the dish. Even putting 1 cube from a clamshell will barely cover the bottom, much less 1/2" so what do you tell someone who questions this? I have a warmer that has a dish at least 4" in diameter and I can put 2oz of wax in there and it still comes in just under 1/2". I was thinking of printing my own anyway, so I'm actually thinking about leaving this part out. Is there a good reason I should be keeping it since it doesn't really make sense regarding normal use anyway?

• Like 1

Yeah. That always makes me question what is in the wax melts.  There isn't a flame, so what issue are they preventing with this?

I make my own labels and I modify that to 1/4 inch, but the melters are made of heat resistant material, usually ceramic or glass, so they should be able to handle the heat even empty. 

On 1/17/2022 at 9:28 AM, JaniceG said:

Yeah. That always makes me question what is in the wax melts.  There isn't a flame, so what issue are they preventing with this?

I make my own labels and I modify that to 1/4 inch, but the melters are made of heat resistant material, usually ceramic or glass, so they should be able to handle the heat even empty. 

Thanks Janice! I feel better now because I was thinking of just using the space for something a little more important like "This is not a Tide pod. Do not eat!" 🤣😂🤣

Edited by LilFirecracker
Rewording
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LilFirecracker said:

"This is not a Tide pod. Do not eat!" 🤣😂🤣

Oh man.  I’ve seen way too many people take a bite out of wax melts and soap. 
some wax melts (and candles and soap)  look too much like food. 

at the ren Faire I had a shop at, one soap shop handed out little bits of soap from a wicker basket to people passing by. The shop is located where people are eating, like a kind of food court. They would laugh and keep score of all the “soap eaters” - people who would instinctively toss the piece of soap that looked like fudge - in their mouths.  I thought it was incredibly cruel, and dangerous given so many allergies we know of. Who the heck likes to be made a spectacle of in a crowded place (or any place).  Head scratcher why their sales continually drop, isn’t it? 

• Shocked 2

On 1/17/2022 at 6:29 AM, LilFirecracker said:

I notice that all of the ready-made caution labels for melts have "Discontinue use is less than 1/2" of wax remains." There are many, many people who melt so little at one time that it doesn't even cover the bottom of the dish. Even putting 1 cube from a clamshell will barely cover the bottom, much less 1/2" so what do you tell someone who questions this? I have a warmer that has a dish at least 4" in diameter and I can put 2oz of wax in there and it still comes in just under 1/2". I was thinking of printing my own anyway, so I'm actually thinking about leaving this part out. Is there a good reason I should be keeping it since it doesn't really make sense regarding normal use anyway?

I make my own labels because of that 1/2 inch wording.  I just don't believe it unless I am missing something!  :) 

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Oh man.  I’ve seen way too many people take a bite out of wax melts and soap. 
some wax melts (and candles and soap)  look too much like food. 

at the ren Faire I had a shop at, one soap shop handed out little bits of soap from a wicker basket to people passing by. The shop is located where people are eating, like a kind of food court. They would laugh and keep score of all the “soap eaters” - people who would instinctively toss the piece of soap that looked like fudge - in their mouths.  I thought it was incredibly cruel, and dangerous given so many allergies we know of. Who the heck likes to be made a spectacle of in a crowded place (or any place).  Head scratcher why their sales continually drop, isn’t it? 

Oh that is so mean!! It's such a shame that adults can be just as bad as kids when it comes to bullying, if not worse! There are some that look so amazingly yummy though. I just can't imagine putting all that work into it and selling at a price that people will actually pay. There's some crazy-talented peeps on Etsy. That's just too much work for me. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, pcbrook said:

I make my own labels because of that 1/2 inch wording.  I just don't believe it unless I am missing something!  :) 

Yeah makes me wonder what I'm missing because like I said... A lot of people will melt 1 or 2 cubes out of a standard clamshell and in a larger warmer, that'll barely cover the bottom of the dish. You don't wanna continue to add to it because you're diluting the scent each time. Ehhh....my paws are up in the air on that one. I don't think anyone pays attention to it anyway to tell you the truth. 

• Like 2