Pour candle with wick, but then replace with correct wick?

MariaL

I know the title is probably really confusing but hear me out. I feel like I’m SO close to finding the right wick for my Valentine’s Day candles. One problem- I don’t have too much time. Is this a bad idea- what if I pour my candles (I know what temps work and my CT and HT have been great), put in a wick (insert the whole clip and sticker at the bottom) which would allow my candles to have great cure time. Then when I finally narrow it down to the correct wick, I take out the “placeholder” wicks, replace with the new correct ones and heat with my heat gun on low setting to smooth out the top. Is this just my burned out brain talking or can I actually do this? 

Bad idea. Your wicks will be unsecured in candle base. Lesson learned. Allow plenty of time to creat new products properly.  If you test well now have those candles done for Mother’s Day knowing that you did not rush testing and are producing an excellent product / candle..

For testing purposes only you can switch out loose .wicks to test.

I do a wickectomy for testers all the time, but would not recommend for candles heading out of my own controlled environment.  

The wick tab needs to be secured well in a candle going to a customer to prevent “wandering wicks” that shift out of center during a burn and can crack glass.