Wax Drops

MommaD

Okay, in a lot of places now, I am seeing these tiny little wax droplets.  They sell them by the jars or in packets.  WHERE in the world do you find molds for these.  I'd like to find a mold and see just how much a PITA these are to actually make, and try blending some scents to see how I like them.

I have been scouring the internet for weeks now, and I even found a tik tok video with a lady pouring them in, then using a mud and tape scraper to scrape it off as it begins to set.  They are super thick molds.  She may have had them custom made, but I don't even find anyone that custom makes the darn things!  Can anyone lend a helping link?  I'd appreciate it.  Not something I'm looking to sell for now if ever, just wanting to check it out.

19 hours ago, MommaD said:

Okay, in a lot of places now, I am seeing these tiny little wax droplets.  They sell them by the jars or in packets.  WHERE in the world do you find molds for these.  I'd like to find a mold and see just how much a PITA these are to actually make, and try blending some scents to see how I like them.

I have been scouring the internet for weeks now, and I even found a tik tok video with a lady pouring them in, then using a mud and tape scraper to scrape it off as it begins to set.  They are super thick molds.  She may have had them custom made, but I don't even find anyone that custom makes the darn things!  Can anyone lend a helping link?  I'd appreciate it.  Not something I'm looking to sell for now if ever, just wanting to check it out.

Are you looking for something like this. I have seen different little shapes, but try amazon.

20211231_105050.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Those look like a profit killing production nightmare. The temperatures will always be just slightly off with most waxes. 

I used to add tiny molded colored cubes of wax to my beeswax pillar candles so I could tell them apart while at the summer long Ren Faire. Took waaaay too long. And made waaaay too much waste. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Karen Ov said:

Are you looking for something like this. I have seen different little shapes, but try amazon.

20211231_105050.jpg

Yeah, the dots look about that size.  This chick had to have had her molds custom made.  Thank you for the link!

Lots of people in Australia seem to be making these as well. Personally I think if I had to work with cavities that small, I would kill someone. What a painful experience to put yourself through, for I expect very little gain. The additional effort over standard melts (or mini melts in our case - 13 gram fluted) would decimate any potential profits, just to look cute!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, RichardLOZ said:

Lots of people in Australia seem to be making these as well. Personally I think if I had to work with cavities that small, I would kill someone. What a painful experience to put yourself through, for I expect very little gain. The additional effort over standard melts (or mini melts in our case - 13 gram fluted) would decimate any potential profits, just to look cute!

I’m with you.  Time is the most expensive resource. You can’t buy or make more. 

the Pink Zebra dots around us are just sprayed at a factory. Why not just scent and color wax that comes in pastilles? 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 4:21 PM, TallTayl said:

I’m with you.  Time is the most expensive resource. You can’t buy or make more. 

the Pink Zebra dots around us are just sprayed at a factory. Why not just scent and color wax that comes in 

I did buy those little pastilles but the throw wasn't very good with them. I did like how little and cute the beads looked. But the throw wasn't there. 

Actually, once you get the hang of it, it's not that bad. I bought my molds off of Amazon. The holes are about a half-inch diameter. The depth is just a hair less. I use a dropper and work in 4oz or less batches. Depending on the wax, sometimes I might have to pop it in the microwave for 1 minute toward the end if it starts getting too thick/hardening. 

It can be frustrating and a real PITA when you first start doing it, but after a while you can find a rhythm and I'm a lot better/faster than I was when I started. If you're not selling by the truckload, it's not bad. If it gets to the point where I start selling a lot in the future, I'm sure I'll be rethinking these. Like everyone else said, it's just not cost-effective. It's really time-consuming. 

I just realized after looking thru a few Etsy listings that have these for sale. I checked out about 4 or 5 different sellers and they're all REALLY small. Probably close to half the size of mine. I don't think I'd put in the time for those that are THAT small. Mine are suppose to be 1/2" in diameter, but when I measure I get 5/8”. If anyone wants to see the ones I saw, do a search for wax dots. That's what most of them acre calling these. 

14 hours ago, NightLight said:

I like the idea of the larger from production point of view. The little ones aren’t worth making. Pretty stupid waste o time.

I noticed one was selling theirs in 2oz bags. I compared my 2oz bag to theirs and because you couldn't tell what size the bag actually was, it looked like there was way more in theirs than mine. That's when I realized and went back to Amazon and saw the smaller molds. Here's mine with a dime for comparison, and also with the mold I use. This mold has 221 cavities. The other mold (same overall size) has 468 cavities. 

20220115_082918.jpg

20220115_082931.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/15/2022 at 11:50 AM, Karen Ov said:

When you use bags does the wax rub against it and make the bag look cloudy?

I did try the bags and after a while they do start looking cruddy. I'm now looking at different containers with lids for them. A little more expense than the bags, but to me it's worth it to have a product that looks nice. 

On 1/16/2022 at 4:35 PM, LilFirecracker said:

I did try the bags and after a while they do start looking cruddy. I'm now looking at different containers with lids for them. A little more expense than the bags, but to me it's worth it to have a product that looks nice. 

I didn't know if it was just me lol, I was like what am I doing wrong. 😒

2 hours ago, Karen Ov said:

I didn't know if it was just me lol, I was like what am I doing wrong. 😒

No girl, it's definitely not just you! My experience is when they're on the soft but firm side, they smudge. When they're on the hard side, they leave a more powdery film on the bag. @Belindais another one who hates the smudges on bags lol. I think she had less problems with straight 4786. I never tried bagging that one straight. I figured eventually it'll get ugly too. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LilFirecracker said:

No girl, it's definitely not just you! My experience is when they're on the soft but firm side, they smudge. When they're on the hard side, they leave a more powdery film on the bag. @Belindais another one who hates the smudges on bags lol. I think she had less problems with straight 4786. I never tried bagging that one straight. I figured eventually it'll get ugly too. 

It drives me crazy! 4625 alone doesn't smudge but it flakes and I can't stand that either LOL! It seems like it depends on the scents too because I have some shapes that never flake or smudge and then others in the same wax that will do one or the other at least a little bit. 4786 doesn't smudge much either. I don't know why it bothers me but it does.

1 minute ago, Belinda said:

It drives me crazy! 4625 alone doesn't smudge but it flakes and I can't stand that either LOL! It seems like it depends on the scents too because I have some shapes that never flake or smudge and then others in the same wax that will do one or the other at least a little bit. 4786 doesn't smudge much either. I don't know why it bothers me but it does.

It bothers you because it looks nasty!! Imagine a Little Debbie snack cake in a store and someone smashed half of it down with their fingers and it smears all over the package. THAT is what it reminds me of!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, LilFirecracker said:

It bothers you because it looks nasty!! Imagine a Little Debbie snack cake in a store and someone smashed half of it down with their fingers and it smears all over the package. THAT is what it reminds me of!

You're exactly right! 

7 hours ago, LilFirecracker said:

Lol..

On 12/31/2021 at 1:16 PM, TallTayl said:

Those look like a profit killing production nightmare. The temperatures will always be just slightly off with most waxes. 

I used to add tiny molded colored cubes of wax to my beeswax pillar candles so I could tell them apart while at the summer long Ren Faire. Took waaaay too long. And made waaaay too much waste. 

Yes, a mold with tiny cavities looks painful, too tedious and time consuming for my taste. But, to each their own. ☺️

On 1/1/2022 at 3:28 PM, RichardLOZ said:

LOL, I agree, looks like a painful process. 😆

• Like 1