My haul from Aztec

LilFirecracker

Just wanted to show what I'll be testing the next few weeks/months, however long it takes! This was shipped last Tuesday and I was suppose to get it Thursday. It made a detour from TN to CA!! I just finally got it today. The only time it would show movement on tracking is when I'd call and they would send out an inquiry. I was soooo mad!!! Thank God the box was in good shape. I was worried. I guess some idiot at the FedEx hub in TN saw LA for Louisiana but thought "oh LA - Los Angeles, this goes to California!" The slab of 4633 is a lot whiter than the one I had from Lone Star. I also have 5lbs of Feather Palm to try and 39 oils. I made out good with 2 sample packs since most of the ones I wanted to try was in there anyway. Plus the 5 for $5. That amounts to 12 free had I paid full price for all. Not bad!!!😃

20211229_124114.jpg

• Like 1

I just did a sniff test on all of them. I'm a little disappointed. They don't smell as strong as Lone Star's oils and I couldn't get most of them to go as long as I wanted. I'll still try them and see what happens. Next stop is gonna be Candle Cocoon! I needed more 4633 and wanted to try the Palm. Since they had the 5lb bag, I said what the hell...and got all these oils! Lots of testing ahead...

Yikes!! I just cut into the 4633 and boy is it different than what I had!!! Much softer. It's even softer than the 4630 I have. Now I'm worried about all the testing I did.... It's super easy to cut. I don't have to strain at all to get the butter knife thru it. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be better?? I think I'll have to adjust my percentages for this one. Ugh!!!!! 😡

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Welcome to the wonderful games of Supply Roulette. 
may the odds be ever in your favor.

Yeah....I think I'm gonna raise the stakes on my next order and do better. Thought I'd give it a shot. Might still get a couple of useful ones out of it. Maybe. 

4 hours ago, Cross-stitch said:

Oh the joys of ordering supplies!!  Sure is frustrating having to wait to finally get your items when things get messed up.  Hope you're able to work with those even though they aren't exactly what you were hoping for...

I'm sure gonna give it a shot! Might end up being a couple I can use. Then again they might surprise me. My Black Cherry from LS was super strong OOB and had a really strong cold throw. It was a flop with hot throw. Tried it in 3 different warmers and a couple of different wax combos. Same with a couple of others I had. So fingers crossed these might work in the opposite way lol. 

10 hours ago, LilFirecracker said:

Yeah....I think I'm gonna raise the stakes on my next order and do better. Thought I'd give it a shot. Might still get a couple of useful ones out of it. Maybe. 

You might get some useful items. The goal will, of course, be repeatability. When your eye is on a business, being able to repeat a successful candle/melt/etc. over time is key. 

the supply variability from wicks, to wax, to fragrance has been the #1 problem for so long it is exhausting. This is why A) we test every new lot and B ) we buy as large of a lot of the same exact material as reasonably possible so we don’t need to test so often. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

You might get some useful items. The goal will, of course, be repeatability. When your eye is on a business, being able to repeat a successful candle/melt/etc. over time is key. 

the supply variability from wicks, to wax, to fragrance has been the #1 problem for so long it is exhausting. This is why A) we test every new lot and B ) we buy as large of a lot of the same exact material as reasonably possible so we don’t need to test so often. 

Yeah my mistake with the wax. I wanted to try different FO's, and I needed more 4633. They had it so I figured I'd get it. Live and learn! This one will totally change the texture of my melts. The other was pliable and I could smash it and stretch it. This one just smashes and looks like mashed potatoes when I'm done with it LMAO!!! I wish I knew which one is the REAL usual quality/texture of 4633. 

4 minutes ago, LilFirecracker said:

Yeah my mistake with the wax. I wanted to try different FO's, and I needed more 4633. They had it so I figured I'd get it. Live and learn! This one will totally change the texture of my melts. The other was pliable and I could smash it and stretch it. This one just smashes and looks like mashed potatoes when I'm done with it LMAO!!! I wish I knew which one is the REAL usual quality/texture of 4633. 

You wouldn’t have known otherwise, so use it and learn from it. 

in the good old days (a few short years ago) we could buy a box of wax from nearly any supplier and be reasonably sure it would be within a decent range of “similar enough”.

Then manufacturers and retailers realized we end users had ZERO recourse for bad supplies and started selling us all crappy junk with no remorse. Enter new waxes, like coconut waxes that caused an industry frenzy. Coconut wax went through the same pains as soy, paraffin, etc. 

then supplies became scarce and people would buy anything just to have it. People bought more and more from different suppliers to try to find “something/anything” to keep candles on the shelves (decent or not) happily paying top dollar. Seems most don’t  bother to test anything and were none the wiser. 

palm has been the only one to pretty much stay static between lots, but the soy industry had already poisoned Palm in consumer minds, so…

2 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

in the good old days (a few short years ago) we could buy a box of wax from nearly any supplier and be reasonably sure it would be within a decent range of “similar enough”.

Then manufacturers and retailers realized we end users had ZERO recourse for bad supplies and started selling us all crappy junk with no remorse. Enter new waxes, like coconut waxes that caused an industry frenzy. Coconut wax went through the same pains as soy, paraffin, etc. 

then supplies became scarce and people would buy anything just to have it. People bought more and more from different suppliers to try to find “something/anything” to keep candles on the shelves (decent or not) happily paying top dollar. Seems most don’t  bother to test anything and were none the wiser. 

palm has been the only one to pretty much stay static between lots, but the soy industry had already poisoned Palm in consumer minds, so…

All I can say is GRRRRR....🤬 I'll still play with it. I might find that it throws better. Who knows? Gotta try. It just sucks since I finally had my formula down. I know everyone goes thru this. If I have to I'll just ditch this one and order from Lone Star again hoping to get the same one I had before. I'm not giving in. I'll figure it out!

• Like 1

You really can’t judge the oils OOB. I have some that are light OOB but powerhouse performers and vice versa. As for the wax, it may be fine. 4630 can vary in hardness, opacity and color from batch to batch without any notable performance issues. I imagine it can be the same for 4633.  Good luck!

3 hours ago, bfroberts said:

You really can’t judge the oils OOB. I have some that are light OOB but powerhouse performers and vice versa. As for the wax, it may be fine. 4630 can vary in hardness, opacity and color from batch to batch without any notable performance issues. I imagine it can be the same for 4633.  Good luck!

Thank you!! That makes me feel better. I was thinking... Hoping.... That maybe that was the case and they might still be good in the wax! I was comparing again side by side the old and the new. I have a little bit left of the old. Really the only difference is it's softer. So I'm gonna try my regular mix and also other percentages to hopefully find the same consistency. I'm just so frustrated because I went from testing over 80 different combos and percentages to narrow it down to 24. Then I picked 3 and then the best out of that. Finally had it. I don't feel like messing with it today so I'll start tomorrow to see what I get. 

On 12/30/2021 at 10:17 AM, TallTayl said:

Yeah, I've been really sad about what I came back to witness.  I miss the days of a few years ago.  I wonder if it will ever get any better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MommaD said:

Yeah, I've been really sad about what I came back to witness.  I miss the days of a few years ago.  I wonder if it will ever get any better.

Better?maybe. Different? For shizzle.  We just keep swimming and adapt, don’t we? 

Well, I used the new wax in my blend. Actually I tested 4 different percentages in case I had to drop down. The consistency is almost the same with all. They all come out of the portion cup easy. They all come out of the dish clean with just a few nudges on the edge with a butter knife. So I'm happy about that. I'm sure the throw will be fine. I hope. I know the cold throw was better with the old 4633 compared to 4630. I even gave it to my bf for a sniff test and the one with the 4633 was stronger to him too. I'm getting ready to put a few new oils in it. I only have a couple out of my other oils that's worthy of keeping. I'll retest those again to make sure they still throw long enough. Glad I'm experiencing this closer to the beginning of my venture so I can be better prepared in the future when it happens again with something.