Would this be considered rude?

LilFirecracker

Goooood morning friends - it's Friday!!

Ok, I'm trying to type this at the same time I have the giggles thinking about the wording. I wouldn't exactly put a sign in these exact words... At shows, I hear a lot of y'all talk about the touching and the makeup-clad noses stuck right in the wax. Would it be rude to put up a sign asking (begging) the customers to please use the testers to sniff and if they're ready to purchase after that, I'll let them sniff their own before they leave? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The unwashed masses are GROSS.  I can’t count the number of people who cram a bar of soap, lip balm tube or candle clear up their noses.  

No matter how many signs they will do it.  They will open jars, stick their fingers in, swirl around and make a mess.  

one show, lol my last, someone wanted a sniff of a pomegranate lip balm before buying.  I opened one. He sniffed and liked it. bought one. then insisted on taking a fresh wrapped one since the one I opened for him that he sniffed was now used. 🤷🏻‍♀️ People. 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, TallTayl said:

The unwashed masses are GROSS.  I can’t count the number of people who cram a bar of soap, lip balm tube or candle clear up their noses.  

No matter how many signs they will do it.  They will open jars, stick their fingers in, swirl around and make a mess.  

one show, lol my last, someone wanted a sniff of a pomegranate lip balm before buying.  I opened one. He sniffed and liked it. bought one. then insisted on taking a fresh wrapped one since the one I opened for him that he sniffed was now used. 🤷🏻‍♀️ People. 

I believe that, some people don't care about anybody but themselves. He was probably buying it as a gift and didn't want it to be opened but the proper and polite thing for him to do would be to buy two of them. He didn't care that he was ripping off a small business owner. 😟

2 hours ago, Laura C said:

I believe that, some people don't care about anybody but themselves. He was probably buying it as a gift and didn't want it to be opened but the proper and polite thing for him to do would be to buy two of them. He didn't care that he was ripping off a small business owner. 😟

oh no… he opened the new one and used it as he walked away. Like I said… last craft show ever. Those are NOT my people.

then the “particular” customers that pop up, like had to open every tube to find one with the best surface.  Or opening all the candle tins to match the lids with the most perfectly centered labels with the best looking candle tops. Oh the memories,  

• Haha 3

On 12/10/2021 at 9:56 AM, LilFirecracker said:

Would it be rude to put up a sign asking (begging) the customers to please use the testers to sniff and if they're ready to purchase after that, I'll let them sniff their own before they leave? 🤣

Seems reasonable to me, if I was one of your customers I would understand. Just make sure you word it properly so you don't offend anyone, LOL. Some people can be so sensitive, LOL, to their own needs but not when it comes to others. 😄

Edited by Laura C

We are located at a major ATV riding area.  We have a general store and we sell ATV parts & do repairs, so you can imagine the dirt that comes in.  I can't tell you how many times I have taken all my candles out of the store and said I will no longer sell candles in that space.  Most recently a group of unsupervised kids took the lids off every candle, passed them around, switched the lids, and left them grubby.  They didn't buy a thing.

I have tried to combat this by displaying clearly marked samples, stocking only 1-2 of each scent and storing the inventory out of reach, but I still lose too much product from dirty handling.  So many people have no self-awareness, no respect, no manners, no good common sense and refuse to recognize boundaries.  I have no answers for you, just loads of commiseration.  Retail is challenging.

• Like 2

Thank you for all the replies! I've read the stories, and I can picture it all happening - and then some! I guess there's just no happy medium when you still want your products to be accessible to your customers. If you have everything out of reach and they have to wait for YOU to hand it to them, I'm sure over half just walk and won't wait. I guess that's just another cost of doing business. 

TT I have people ask from time to time if I have sample lip balms they can see/smell. I simply tell them that they are sealed for sanitation purposes. That always stops people cold. They nod and don't ask anymore about it.  I do tell them that I use them and describe the flavors to them so they have an idea of what they taste, smell like. I tell them which is my favorite, etc. They tend to continue to look at the lip balms and eventually buy what they want still sealed! No problem. I started doing this some time ago as I was amazed at how people wanted to sample a lip balm. Ick!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Candybee said:

TT I have people ask from time to time if I have sample lip balms they can see/smell. I simply tell them that they are sealed for sanitation purposes. That always stops people cold. They nod and don't ask anymore about it.  I do tell them that I use them and describe the flavors to them so they have an idea of what they taste, smell like. I tell them which is my favorite, etc. They tend to continue to look at the lip balms and eventually buy what they want still sealed! No problem. I started doing this some time ago as I was amazed at how people wanted to sample a lip balm. Ick!

For faire days I put a sniffie set of the 16 flavors for that weekend out. And brought the “clean” ones behind the service area. Lip balm was an easily pilfered item-and health risk 😬🤢

People would sometimes steal the sniffies. 🤮🤮🤮🤮

• Like 1

RE OP's original question on signage on candle sniffing I have to agree with TT. Customers are gonna do it anyway. I see people put the noses on bars of soap all the time so much so they end up with flakes of soap on their nose. It gets a giggle out of me and I tell them they have soap on their nose.

I don't think its rude to safeguard your products by putting out a sign. I cannot however speak for everyone as everyone has their own idea of what is rude. It will not bother some while others will be turned off and perhaps even challenge or speak against it. So the question is, are you prepared for any negative feedback you may encounter. If you have that kind of moxie to stand up to it and defend your position and you want to do it then do. If you are easily cowed, go chicken, or run away screaming like a scared rabbit then don't.

Personally I don't see a problem with people smelling my candles or my soap for that matter. Yes I think its gross some put their noses right on it. 

So there are things you can do to avoid it. 

Seal and products you absolutely do not want customers touching. For example I seal cosmetics and some like lotions or sprays I have sample bottles customers can try out.

Put out a sign that says ask for help if you want a sample. Put it in a prominent place and be sure to be at the ready with the sample if the customer asks.

3 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

For faire days I put a sniffie set of the 16 flavors for that weekend out. And brought the “clean” ones behind the service area. Lip balm was an easily pilfered item-and health risk 😬🤢

People would sometimes steal the sniffies. 🤮🤮🤮🤮

Boggles the mind, right?!!!! Especially during a pandemic why would you want to put your lips on something others have. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Boggles the mind, right?!!!! Especially during a pandemic why would you want to put your lips on something others have. 

Many would think it was ok if they used their finger on the top and apply from their finger. They had to realize the lack of hand washing opportunities at a ren Faire. 😬😜

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Many would think it was ok if they used their finger on the top and apply from their finger. They had to realize the lack of hand washing opportunities at a ren Faire. 😬😜

My wife uses q-tips with the lip balm testers.  She actually swabs it herself then hands off the q-tip to customers.  Some people sample that way or they just smell it and that's good enough.  Or they go by the flavor and decide that way. 

No one... as of yet... has actually touched with their fingers or lips. 

• Like 2

I keep tiny testing spatulas for my creams and open one jar only for testing. The rest I keep sealed so no one can open the cream jars. I have sample lotion testers for each lotion and occasionally I see a customer trying to open one that isn't a tester. I actually jump in and ask them to use the tester. You have to be vigilant when you do craft shows and markets. I don't blame people for wanting to check something out before they buy and that's why I make testers when I can.

• Like 1