Candle wax prices are insane right now?!?!

ambar

Bought GW 444 45 lb for $66 last December, then again this past May for $75….. today, it’s $90-98 for 45lbs everywhere I look?! (Not including shipping or taxes)

Is this just because of the holidays? Or is this post-covid quarantine inflation? I can’t imagine charging an appropriate price for my candles to match this… it’s insane. Any suggestions? I’m in California. With shipping, I’m looking at $140-$160 for 45lbs…

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, franu61 said:

Yes they are insane.  I am in Ca too. The best we can do is order from the nearest supplier to save on shipping.  For me it is candlescience, as they ship out of Reno.

Yeah good call, but I never know when the wax is coming from the east coast or west. Seems like a gamble with CS.

I guess my concern is, do you think these prices are permanent and will just keep climbing from here? Or do you think they’ll drop again after the holidays?

4 hours ago, ambar said:

I guess my concern is, do you think these prices are permanent and will just keep climbing from here? Or do you think they’ll drop again after the holidays?

Once prices go up they very rarely come down again unfortunately.

We used to do Soy, but only use Palm now as Soy prices in Australia have gone really stupid - up to $185 AUD / box, and then where we are located you can add an additional $45 AUD for shipping.  Now add jar, scent, label, wick, etc and the candles would be priced beyond the reach of most people.

We do love making candles, but not to just sit and look pretty on the shelf.........

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, RichardLOZ said:

Once prices go up they very rarely come down again unfortunately.

We used to do Soy, but only use Palm now as Soy prices in Australia have gone really stupid - up to $185 AUD / box, and then where we are located you can add an additional $45 AUD for shipping.  Now add jar, scent, label, wick, etc and the candles would be priced beyond the reach of most people.

We do love making candles, but not to just sit and look pretty on the shelf.........

Wow! I’m right there with you. It would be too much to price them according to the cost to make + the time invested in creating them. Thanks for your feedback.

4 minutes ago, franu61 said:

Yeah, I doubt they will come down again.  

Thank you for letting me know. I’m new to this (a little less than 2 years) so the price change really shocked me. I guess I’ll stock* up now before they increase AGAIN after the holidays. 

Edited by ambar
  • Like 1

Seems like wax prices were kept artificially low for a long time. too bad since the waxes out there now are junk compared to earlier manufacturing lots. 

Now that fuel costs and other inputs are up, I doubt we will see much downward movement. At least usps parcel  Shipping will drop mid January from indicators I see.

at least,  if we are patient, loads of failed new candle businesses will sell off / destash supplies in the months to come. Keep your eyes glued to Craigslist and destash groups on FB marketplace.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Seems like wax prices were kept artificially low for a long time. too bad since the waxes out there now are junk compared to earlier manufacturing lots. 

Now that fuel costs and other inputs are up, I doubt we will see much downward movement. At least usps parcel  Shipping will drop mid January from indicators I see.

at least,  if we are patient, loads of failed new candle businesses will sell off / destash supplies in the months to come. Keep your eyes glued to Craigslist and destash groups on FB marketplace.

I never even considered that. Thanks for the heads up! 

9 hours ago, RichardLOZ said:

I did create an excel pricing workbook some time back when I was on the board before.  Happy to re-share that if anyone is interested? If people want it, I will create a thread on the business section.

yes please

For one 55 case of palm wax cost me upwards of $175-$200 depending on where I buy it from. The shipping is just as expensive as the case of wax itself. It IS total insanity! 

For the past few years I have been getting away with selling my 12oz jar candles for $15 but no more. I will have to sell them for a minimum of $18-$22. I had a hard enough time selling them for $15. Don't think my customers will go as high as $20. Will find out next year when I raise the prices.