Dough Bowls and Other Odd Vessels

I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the dough bowl candle craze?  I see them constantly and they are so darn cute but they seem like a fire hazard.  People in some Facebook groups claim to add a fire retardant that prevents them from burning.  Has anyone used them with success?  Also, what's your thoughts on coffee mugs from Dollar Tree or those cute little ceramic containers shaped little a mini bread pan with Christmas decor on the outside (Big Lots or Dollar General)?  

Dough bowl wood fire hazard. Noninsurable. Why risk a fire in your home or anywhere else. Dollar tree has had some recalls on filled glass candles

Nearly 143,000 candles sold at Dollar Tree recalled over fire, burn hazards

High flames on the small votive candles sold at Dollar Tree can ignite the surface of the wax or cause the glass to break, according to the recall notice.
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Dough bowls aren't a good idea.  It doesn't make sense to make candles in flammable containers, fire retardant or no.  Those mini loaf pans are great though, at least the ones from Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc., because they are actually oven safe for baking.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You’ll find using combustible materials in, on or around candles to be a very touchy subject here. To me, anything wooden to hold candle wax and a wick is just a supersized wooden wick.

The claim that some untested fire retardant spray will do the trick, especially when the claim is made by someone who is not qualified to ensure safety should not be relied upon.  Some random stranger on the internet or at a craft show selling me a candle will not be around to file a claim against when it ultimately catches fire and causes harm.

Wood is a natural fiber that changes a LOT with time. Spraying on the surface will not protect the inner fibers as they unravel and split with time. I use old candle wax to START bonfires. It goes up hot and fast even with wet woods.

when in doubt I refer to ASTM standards that do not condone using anything potentially fire prone as part of a candle. When lawsuits for wrongful damage or death are opened, ASTM is the de facto resource for proving negligence. 

several threads on this forum have shared horror stories of fires in wooden dough bowls. Even the candle supply sellers of the bowls write in fine print on the listings not to use to hold candles.  I find that they even sell them to be stomach turning in that profit over practicality is their motive. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh the dough bowl question. Here's what I would use a dough bowl for, anything other than a candle. 😆

But seriously, if you really love them and want to sell something in them then what about using them to packaging wax melts or potpourri?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1