Question about fragrance blending?

TallPineCandles

There is a fragrance I would like to try. It calls for:

2parts: Rose,

2parts: Each Musk, Vanilla, Sandalwood.

My question is what do you suggest the term "Parts" equals? All the fragrance blenders please help out a newbie blender. Never really blended fragrances and would like to give it a try. Also very open to suggestions and directions.

It can mean anything you choose, so long as it is consistent. 
drops, grams, milliliters, ounces…a “part” is just a proportion or ratio to keep the blends somewhat consistent from batch to batch. 

to test blends, a dropper to put drops of your blend on a paper towel works well. Let the drops blend and air out to give an idea of what you will end up with.

some people use q tips. A drop of each on a q tip, or one q tip for each scent let’s you mix and match. 

for your blend the parts are equal, so one drop of each on a paper towel is where I would start. 

if it were 1 part x, 2 parts y, 3 parts z, etc, just do 1 drop of x, 2 drops of y, and 3 drops of z. If you like the blend, change drops to grams, ounces etc. for your batch. 

1 hour ago, TallPineCandles said:

So lets say that the blend calls for 1part A, 2 parts B.... Would I put 1 q-tip of A and 2 q-tips of B in a container to test?

You could certainly do it that way. It will give you an idea of how the blend will smell.  Making it into bigger batches will be close, which you can tweak later. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TallPineCandles said:

2parts: Rose,

2parts: Each Musk, Vanilla, Sandalwood.

I tend to always do this as a percentage and then convert.  In your case above, assuming 6% FO load, that would equate to 1.5% of each of your desired scents.

So in 1000 grams wax, to keep it easy, 60 grams oil in total (yes I realise this is only 5.6% - but I am keeping the calculations simple), or 15 grams of each (1.5%)

I guess in the end, you need to work it the way you are most comfortable with, and what gives you the result you are looking for :)

Richard